Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Macdescruple

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Macdescruple »

Bernard Venables "Anglers Corner", The programmes seem incredibly quaint , the editing isn't "seamless" and the fish look like they've seen better days but its Bernard. If it wasn't for him I may never have picked up a rod & reel.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

For a bit of fly fishing, you could try this

http://www.flylife.com.au/library/bookr ... vsome.html

There are a couple of series. Not easy to get hold of. I have both on VHS (series 2 I had to buy direct from Australia!).

Some clips available on Youtube
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:
I'd love to get hold of the original The Fishing Race where pairs of anglers vied for the coveted Golden Maggot award but alas it never made it to VHS let alone DVD.
I can still hear Gibbinson shouting 'GILLESPIE'!

and of course the midnight manoeuvres fishing for exotics :whistle:

Stumbled across this the other day https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUcS ... WpvEg#t=14

Classic footage of my old mate the late great Vic Gillings R.I.P. chatting to Kevin Maddocks about his record Ashlea Pool capture on a floating bait.

In reality not long ago but it seems such a long time back now. Even Jacko has hair! Some great people on there sadly no longer with us.

Not a rival for APFA but still nice to look back.
As you say Shaun - not that long ago but it seems like ages. Great youtube footage :Thumb:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Loop Erimder wrote:2nd would be Compleat Angler with Geoffrey Palmer and Rae Borras
I would second that, I really enjoyed the series. I also liked Mr Crabtree as a series for the whole family and non anglers alike and John Wilson vids takes some beating.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Scott wrote: For me my number 2 (and it is only just at number 2) would be Arthur Ransome's Rod and Line with Michael Horden.
So, what say you chaps?
I'm with you on this one. I love this series (music fits fine for me too!) And 'the local angler' is so very well observed by Ransome.
If you enjoy the combination of Ransome and Hordern, you can enjoy a few chapters not featured in the series, narrated by Hordern here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3scgjR6qCo :fish:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Four Seasons on the Hampshire Avon by Paul Witcher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3wvW9SACx8

Nothing is going to match up to 6 hours of APFA, but this came closest for me.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

For going back to and watching over and over, obviously APFA is miles ahead, I'd say Mr Wilsons stuff is second on my list. I suppose they're two different sorts of program, one being inspirational and the other instructional.

We're lucky to have been around when these films were on TV and were fresh to our eyes. I emailed Hugh Miles a few years back, thanking him for his efforts, he mentioned some of my comments in his blog. What chance have my kids got now? Robson (leap on a fish fain excitement) Green.... I'd kick his liver out if I passed him on the river.... Did I mention I don't care much for him....
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

James
Rudd

Post by James »

The lost world of Mr Hardy does it for me.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

James wrote:The lost world of Mr Hardy does it for me.
Another one of my favourites, I particularly like the Edward Barder and Chris Lythe interviews at the end of the film.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Spot on Scott, Michael Hordern is probably my number two too. But I love the music to Rod and Line! That cello and piano scores sounds so watery. Its not my kind of music, but I think it fits perfectly. I think the Lilliput episode is probably my favourite of the series,just for Hordern's child like jittery excitement as he casts for that grayling! I love Hordern's additional ad-libs too - 'Here and there a lusty trout, here and there a grayling' and a mantra I've mumbled since 'When in doubt...the black gnat' Yeeessss!

Return to “Fishing Films”