which Abu 506 is better ?

The ABU Reels forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: which Abu 506 is better ?

Post by Marc »

There you go Robbi. You need three, maybe four. :Chuckle:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Oh hell ! She'll never understand !
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Take a well priced vintage 506(m) one day.For me it has to be the "original" syncro drag one from the seventies.Like written before I think,too you might get a good one for 30 pounds or less.It doesnot
matter how it looks outside if you want a user.The important thing is inside.Got mine from fairs where
I was able to have a turn round.....

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

501 or 506 all the time - good condition one £30 - 40+. Look at the spools as well, deep metal ones, are not recommended for trotting! Usually 2 spools one shallow + one deep. Additional shallow spools can be expensive to buy.

A 1044 went very cheaply recently and it is a most underrated reel - it has an optional anti-reverse.

Compared to many other closed face you cannot beat an ABU.

There is an ABU Garcia 1044 on the evilbay ay £10.53 at the moment - item number - 171286715519 - well worth a punt.

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

I used abu 506 and 501 for many years..they were in my opinion the finest closed faced reels ever made and were copied but never bettered. Though I no longer use them they were excellent used as trotting reels as well but could be quite hair raising when you hooked a big fish..but I would recommend them fully if that's what you are after and fully agree with the above statement
micky
Last edited by Sussex Micky on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Robbi, whichever one you choose or finish up with one thing to remember Don't fill the spool so many anglers giving these a go for the first time fill their spools then they suffer line getting down the back of the spool and then cant cast, you can put just a little line on, some I know only put 50 to 60 yds on it really doesn't effect the casting distance much and eliminates most of line problems.

I've used closed face reels exclusively since the 1960's (there is a 505 on my Avatar) At the moment I am using the 706 and find it good, (not quite the engineering quality of the 501, 503, 505,, ect but still very good), never used a 704 but I am told the the double pin was dropped when they brought out the 706 and eliminated the problem of the 704.

I would like to try the new 506 but at the mo am quite happy with the 706.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

We'll Robbie, if you decide to go for a 506 I have 2 virtually mint reels, nice and tight when the handle's turned and the anti- reverse pawl still intact, I might consider parting with one, both used no more than
5/ 6 times with spare spool.

ATB Macko

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

if i had to choose between a old 506 or new model 506 ,i'd take the old model every time ,i've nothing much against the new model .i just prefer the old version .but i wouldn't pay over £25-£30 inc P&P ,as they're cheap enough if you shop around
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I have had a 506M for about 40 years now. I bought mine brand new and it is still all intact with its anti reverse pawl etc. I can honestly say I have never discovered what all the fuss was about. I always felt somewhat let down by the reel but I cannot put my finger on the reason why. I much prefer my pins for trotting even though I can cast further with the ABU. I'm glad I bought it all those years ago. Otherwise I would probably be hankering after trying one today. Then having that upset after spending far too much money on one :(
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Robbi, I think the reel to consider first off is the one from Macko, its a great offer and better than buyer beware rubbish that can be bought on eBay, most of the stuff comes from car boots or auction houses and never sees a change of grease or a drop of oil, trust me I know, I have had over 40 of them. :Scared:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”