North Harrow Waltonians Angling Soc Harefield

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: North Harrow Waltonians Angling Soc Harefield

Post by Chevin »

Is that the Industrial estate in Uxbridge with the strange bar/hotel next to the river and right in the middle of the industrial estate, the place just doesnt look like it suposed to be there.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

It is the industrial estate but I don't recall any hotel or bar, John. I do remeber a pub opposite the entrance to the estate though. When I was fishing it you had a choice of either going up to the top of the stretch where the backwater comes off the main river, or there used to be an entrance down the side of one of the warehouses. No night fishing but fishable till dusk and quite a creepy place after dark.

P.S Just googled it, The General Elliot is the pub

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Place I stayed at in Uxbridge was on an industrial estate and was told it was built to house workers that were working at heathrow, it was just a strange place as it was bang smack in the middle of an industrial estate, but the river flowing along side the pub garden was just full of chub, and I hadnt taken a rod :hairout:

As an after thought I may have been alongside one of the back waters as it appeared to quite narrow.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Haydn Clarke wrote:Jerry, did GXUDAS let that stretch go a few years ago, as I was sure it was always on their ticket? I used to fish it about ten years ago and a nice stretch once you actually get onto the river facing the meadow. I must admit I was always fearful for my motor parked on that industrial estate
No they didn't, the GXUDAS club stretch is just around the corner on the other side of St John's Road. This stretch has always been free in my lifetime and was supposedly protected by an ancient charter granted to the people of Uxbridge Moor. However it had become impossible for decent folk to cast a line and I understand completely why Hillingdon Council took this option.

As to other posts - No strange bars to my knowledge, the General Elliot backs on to the GU canal, not the Colne, although the Colne is visible by crossing the road. The stretch in question, if you google, runs from the junction of Cowley Mill Road and St John's Road to Iver Lane.

Hope that help a bit.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Pretty sure the place I was staying at was in Riverside Way so I may be in a completely different area.

H.T. Sheringham

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

John65 wrote:Pretty sure the place I was staying at was in Riverside Way so I may be in a completely different area.
John, Riverside way is in another industrial estate to the west of St John's Road, the part of the Colne that runs there is the GXUDAS stretch together with the man made 'sluice'. The nearest pub is the Dolphin.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Jerryc, I have fished the free stretch in Uxbridge for 27 years and not once have I come across
an undesirable, or had any inkling of trouble fishing there on my own during daylight or night.
Have you ever taken the time to talk to us undesirables, I bet you haven't. If you are still able to fish there I will gladly meet up with you and introduce to any of THE UNDESIRABLES, if any are fishing,you might just be surprised how friendly they are, and free with information about the stretch.
Do tell me what harm you have come to over there.
NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Macko wrote:Jerryc, I have fished the free stretch in Uxbridge for 27 years and not once have I come across
an undesirable, or had any inkling of trouble fishing there on my own during daylight or night.
Have you ever taken the time to talk to us undesirables, I bet you haven't. If you are still able to fish there I will gladly meet up with you and introduce to any of THE UNDESIRABLES, if any are fishing,you might just be surprised how friendly they are, and free with information about the stretch.
Do tell me what harm you have come to over there.
NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.
I've fished it for 60 years and gave up some 8 years ago (as did many others) because of the drunks, drug dealers with rottweilers, the racers on four wheel motorcycles, to name a few - if you think about it it had to be serious for Hillingdon Council to terminate an ancient charter granting free fishing to the people of Uxbridge Moor and place the stretch in the safe keeping of GXUDAS. To fish there in future you will need to become a member.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Jerry, drug dealers with Rottweillers, nonsense.
Bikes yes, but wasn't it the council who made the dirt track.
Like I say, what harm has been done to you over there.
So, for 19 years you fished there at the time I was fishing there,
Our paths must surely have crossed, perhaps you might remember
a man fishing there, always with his Black and Tan collie, cane & pin,
That was me, and i have never seen another angler using cane rods,
so, as this is a traditional fishermans forum I'm sure you would remember
seeing me if our paths had crossed.

I'm not having a go at you,as such, but strongly disagreeing with the picture
you are painting of the people who fish there.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Macko wrote:Jerry, drug dealers with Rottweillers, nonsense.
Bikes yes, but wasn't it the council who made the dirt track.
Like I say, what harm has been done to you over there.
So, for 19 years you fished there at the time I was fishing there,
Our paths must surely have crossed, perhaps you might remember
a man fishing there, always with his Black and Tan collie, cane & pin,
That was me, and i have never seen another angler using cane rods,
so, as this is a traditional fishermans forum I'm sure you would remember
seeing me if our paths had crossed.

I'm not having a go at you,as such, but strongly disagreeing with the picture
you are painting of the people who fish there.

Not nonsense but true - you have your opinion - I share mine with many others including, Hillingdon Council, therefore it's pointless continuing these 'posts' as it appears that if you didn't see it it didn't happen.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”