Post by Nobby »

Oh dear. At least you spotted it now.

Anything here appeal?:

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rod-building ... butt-caps/

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: The Roach

Post by Loop Erimder »

I refer to the comment I made some time ago..... 'Rather you than me' Well done Mark keep at it fella :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nobby wrote:Oh dear. At least you spotted it now.

Anything here appeal?:
http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rod-building ... butt-caps/
Nobby

I did a search which took me direct to the Century, which is way too big. I didn't see that they did others, so thanks for pointing it out.
The only one with a suitable insert is this
http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rod-building ... t-cap.html
I think it would still require some work, as the outer diameter is quite large. I'll go for one and see what it is like when it arrives.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Good luck! Sounds like you will need it.

I've used Gorilla glue to repair delamination in the tip section of a MARCO Test. Since finishing the rod I've had several decent barbel on it and the tip is still OK.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not having much luck. The rod is taking shape. I went to whip the ferrules, winding check and logo surround, with what I thought was a fairly full spool of Gudebrod A black. Only to find that it doesn't have enough on it to finish the rings. A quick squint at Guides n Blanks, H&H and Rod Rings and Things proved, as someone pointed out earlier, that the postage cost is prohibitive on smaller orders.
I have used Piper's silk on floats, in the fine grade. So I decided to give them a try. Success. 75m of black 90/2, only £2 with £1 postage. :Thumb:
Unless I hit any more snags, I should get the thing finished at under £40

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

MGs wrote:Unless I hit any more snags, I should get the thing finished at under £40
A real bargain at that price, Sir ... I almost wish I'd bid now !!! (teasing :Wink: )
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Coming along (with some help from other members).

Thanks to Nobby for his tip off, a new stainless steel button fitted. A perfect fit for diameter. I had to cut about 1/2" off the insert but no real issues. This is domed and the original is flat but needs must.

Also, with thanks to Catfish.017 who has supplied a couple of sets of bent wire rod rings, still on the original cards. Seems a shame to use them.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, Ill be....original rings on cards!

I think you'll have to use 'em MGs...it's that or go for 408s from H&H.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Use it is. Because these fit on the sides of the blank instead of on top of it, I have had to do a bit of fettling to get them to fit snug to the flats of the cane. Just given them a once over with Hydrate 80, just in case there are any small rust spots. As soon as that is dry I'll start whipping

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Coming along nicely, Sir. Well done.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”