Cheese Paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Barbulus
Tench

Re: Cheese Paste

Post by Barbulus »

Mark. I use Olive Oil for paste like RichardC but unless you are frying with it - olive oil not good for frying as lower temperature etc. - frankly I don't think it matters. It softens it sufficiently to fish well and then it seems to me it is more about the right swim and watercraft.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

The beauty of my job I can get free ingredients, I have made all sorts of various pastes

My latest cheese paste consists of 200g of stilton, 200g of goat's cheese, 4 individual packets of flora and about 10-15 slices of fresh farmhouse white bread (blitzed in the liquidiser) and a couple of balls of golf ball size puff pastry. I used this paste on Sunday and caught a nice chub. This was the last cast in another section that looked amazing, the chub bloody loved it and wolfed it down so much it swallowed the hook :doh:

Also the beauty of having a vacpac machine at work. The packets are now in the freezer as I knew I wouldn't be using the paste for another couple of weeks.

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have no cheese paste recipes, but I do have a couple of ideas for fishing paste effectively, I have two systems, one is the Korum Paste cages
http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/store/ko ... wwod1z8ALw
and the other is the Middy paste hooklinks
http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/middy- ... ~1390.html
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Another vote for using the food processor, grating is ok but can mask the hook point on the strike.

I blitz the cheese into a slurry using either veg oil or egg, semolina or crumb to stiffen to a paste with a similar texture to plasticine. I also add nbutyric acid to give it an extra bit of appeal.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Chevin wrote:Another vote for using the food processor, grating is ok but can mask the hook point on the strike.

I blitz the cheese into a slurry using either veg oil or egg, semolina or crumb to stiffen to a paste with a similar texture to plasticine. I also add nbutyric acid to give it an extra bit of appeal.
Butanoic acid: the chemical found in sweat, vomit and cheese. Nice!

I think this is the one where it was presented, in a study, to people labelled as two things: parmesan and vomit. The participants were asked to rate the smell on it's pleasantness and the cheese scored much higher.

Apparently dogs can detect it in 10 ppb, but us humans can only detect it in 10 ppm! I wonder where chub come in on this line? :Chuckle:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MaggotDrowner wrote:
Chevin wrote:Another vote for using the food processor, grating is ok but can mask the hook point on the strike.

Butanoic acid: the chemical found in sweat, vomit and cheese. Nice!

I think this is the one where it was presented, in a study, to people labelled as two things: parmesan and vomit. The participants were asked to rate the smell on it's pleasantness and the cheese scored much higher.

Apparently dogs can detect it in 10 ppb, but us humans can only detect it in 10 ppm! I wonder where chub come in on this line? :Chuckle:
Ah butanoic acid. I use it a school for experiments and everyone complains for days! It clings to hair and clothing so be careful.
I can vouch for dogs liking it as I once brought some home and opened it outside and my labrador went crazy!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thank you for all the comments and advise chaps. :Hat:

I'm not one for over complicating my fishing so on good advise above I will use my same recipe but will replace the butter with oil.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Good idea, Mark, I reckon most of the time location and method are more important than the finer details of bait ingredients.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mark wrote:Thank you for all the comments and advise chaps. :Hat:

I'm not one for over complicating my fishing so on good advise above I will use my same recipe but will replace the butter with oil.
Try a little glycerine moulded into your paste Mark. It will keep it softer much longer. You don't really want to be adding much oil on the colder months. Whoops - another of my business secrets out. :tea:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

What is glycerine Shaun, can it be purchased at a supermarket.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”