Modern v. old..

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Mike Wilson
Perch

Re: Modern v. old..

Post by Mike Wilson »

Des Taylor had often told me he would like to meet Dick so on my next visit I invited him along. During our 1/2 hour chat [which lasted about 5 hours as usual !] Dick gave me one of his nets which I was lead to believe was the one used to land the '31.04' [34]. The 'Record' net he had given to Gerry Berth-Jones back in the late 50's.
Later that year [about '84] I had a 'Piscatorial Supper' at my house which included Pete Stone, Gerry Berth-Jones, Fred Buller and Fred J Taylor [and other halves]. Pete and I had a long discussion about the net. We queried whether it was one that Dick had made or it was a B James & Son net.
Stu will post some pictures in due course. The photo of the two nets show the net Dick gave me on the left and the 'Record' net on the right.

Mike

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Hurry up Stu, can't wait to see them.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Sorry it took a while, had to convert PDF to JPG!!! :wink:

Dick in his back garden....

Dick's Nets........

Mike and Pete looking at the net.....

Pete Stone, Mike Wilson, Gerry Berth Jones, Fred Buller and Fred J Taylor.....

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Absolutely brilliant :hat:
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Rich

Post by Rich »

Hello to all
Great idea for a new forum stu
Looking forward to all the stories old and new.
Anyway old against new????
Well it must be "new" CAD Quality control space age materials to name a few sales quotes. What does it all mean? Is it a guarantee of quality? Finally is it now practical to make new rods etc that were impossible 50 years ago?

I am lucky enough to own several setts of vintage rods and tackle of assorted age and design However Almost all of my "using" tackle is less than 5 years old and on the whole made in the shed! To me the beauty and also big frustration of vintage tackle is that it was all hand made often by several different makers meaning today you can have two items with such differences to specification they are worthy of different names!!

That said if you want to collect look long and hard into the history of the famous makers and you might just discover a little gem where most would not bother looking if you want to use then get yourselves into the shed!!!
Its not a black art and you can start with very few special tools. I believe you could produce replicas of both of the above nets for £25 each! ok they may not be perfect copies but aren't wee all individuals?

Go on have a go There is nothing nicer than seeing that first fish to a piece of hand crafted tackle.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Hi Rich, and welcome buddy. (The forum wasn't my idea, Mark thought it up and put together this wonderful site, I just help out around here :wink: )

I do believe that it was you, Rich, that gave me the inspiration to try my hand at creating something, and my first rod is underway.

Enjoy the forum pal, really looking forward to your posts!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Is it me or does Gerry Berth-Jones look a bit like Mr McGoo on that photo?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Snape wrote:Is it me or does Gerry Berth-Jones look a bit like Mr McGoo on that photo?
Just needs the hat!!! :laugh:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Martin on the left with Bill Quinlans old Richard Walker net and Len Abery with one of his new landing nets..courtesy of Martin James.

SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

What a pair, I mean the landing nets. :chuckle:
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”