Edgar Sealey Octopus Rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
John Cave

Re: Edgar Sealey Octopus Rod

Post by John Cave »

SeanM wrote:Way hey! Now the question is what is it? Is it definitely 10ft 6in John?
Yep - checked again - 126" long - 10'6"

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

Do these help? The pic of what is left of the Sealey Transfers is crap - I will have to find a way of posting a blown up section of this!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

Big problem with my Sealey cane rod.

I had decided to start thinking about how I would tackle the renovation when I noticed that the cane in the last 6" or so of the top section was badly split.

So what do I do?

Look for a new replacement top section, as I suspect that any type of repair is a useless idea?
-

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

It depends if the cane is split (broken across the fibres) or delaminated (come un-glued along the sections). Both can be fixed depending on the severity. Sounds like if its the former, in this case it wouldn't be an option. If it is delaminated, it isn't that hard to fix. There are plenty of posts on how to fix this.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

What MGs said ! :Thumb:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

No its delaminated - so I will search the website and find out how to do it. thanks guys

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

In basic terms, you need to separate the sections (at the top and bottom of the delamination) I use dress making pins. Put some glue in (Cascamite seems to be the one of choice). Spiral bind it with twine in both directions and leave it to dry. There are somewhere, some pictures of this procedure.

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

MGs wrote:In basic terms, you need to separate the sections (at the top and bottom of the delamination) I use dress making pins. Put some glue in (Cascamite seems to be the one of choice). Spiral bind it with twine in both directions and leave it to dry. There are somewhere, some pictures of this procedure.
Thank you for the advice. The delamination is right at the very end of the top section so separating the delaminated sections my well test both ones patience and composure!!!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nobody said it would be easy. Just think of the satisfaction when you get it done. Best of luck

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

John that's the easiest bit of delamination to repair because you are working from an open end. The first time I did any was a tip too, and I was as nervous about it as you are, especially when the 3 inches of delamination turned into 15 on separating the cane strips!

But it worked perfectly and only required the tiniest bit of straightening over a candle afterwards.

Just make sure you have plenty of string handy for binding up the re-glued strips as the glue cures, you can easily use of 15 feet on string on even a small repair. Work on a large hard flat table top so you can use it to keep the section as straight as possible whilst you work.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”