ARMY SURPLUS CLOTHING

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: ARMY SURPLUS CLOTHING

Post by Marc »

Built to last and well thought out. Another fan here.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

No arguements from me and I still like a look through army surplus stuff to this day. I have the army sleeping bag with a built in ground sheet.

I remember sleeping in it with no tent when I was night fishing one night and it started raining, I fell asleep with the groundsheet uppermost and woke up a few hours later bone dry. You can't beet them. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I have an ex- army camo jacket that has a red label inside that says 1995 Trial Garment, and it's one of the rip stop ones; and it cost £10 from York market. Anyways, a few weeks back I was wearing it over a blue hoody with the hood up to keep warm. When my son saw me he kindly pointed out that I looked like some psycho from one of those 'lost in the woods ' horror movies. And I think he had a point. Camo jackets don't go with hooding no matter how old one is!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Danish Army Gortex trousers did me very well for years. I'm not sure there are many servicemen of my build currently serving in Her Majesties or anybody else's army at the moment but it certainly is very good stuff.

The idea of Bob kitted head to toe in yellow oil skins has brought images of Captain Birdseye to mind but, as he's a little tetchy at times I do have one piece of ex army kit that's very useful

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Dave Burr wrote:Danish Army Gortex trousers did me very well for years. I'm not sure there are many servicemen of my build currently serving in Her Majesties or anybody else's army at the moment but it certainly is very good stuff.

The idea of Bob kitted head to toe in yellow oil skins has brought images of Captain Birdseye to mind but, as he's a little tetchy at times I do have one piece of ex army kit that's very useful

Me tetchy! Tetchy my ar*e!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Grazy

Post by Grazy »

I like the idea of ex-army stuff but can't quite bring myself to go 'camo' mainly due to the modern carpers obsession with it even down to the camo tea mugs however all a bit pointless when one is 'bivvied' up for an over nighter and illuminating the lake with a 5000 lumen headtorch paying the pizza delivery driver at the gate.

I do see the advantage though, if it's good enough for the troops then it'll certainly do us anglers on the bank come rain or shine so I maybe persuaded to look again!!

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

a vision of the next tff day :Chuckle:

I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I'll go as John Laurie on the right and I've put Loop down as the spiv on the left. :Ok:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

:laugh1:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Bob Brookes wrote:I'll go as John Laurie on the right and I've put Loop down as the spiv on the left. :Ok:
Thanks Mr Bob. PershoreHarrier is next to Captain Mainwaring. It is actually PershoreHarrier
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”