Closer to a ban on traditional lead weights.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
PDuffield
Grayling

Re: Closer to a ban on traditional lead weights.

Post by PDuffield »

There's an article on the BBC website today about the use of lead shot in shooting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34861602

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Northern Eel wrote:All my leads over 1oz are those fox rubberised coated ones, do those have lead inside? sorry to be ignorant but ive never really thought about it.
(all my smaller shot is obviously lead free, but I also use aresley bombs at about 3/4 oz sometimes)
I would have thought they are, most substitutes have proven to be too expensive to work with.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
Northern Eel wrote:All my leads over 1oz are those fox rubberised coated ones, do those have lead inside? sorry to be ignorant but ive never really thought about it.
(all my smaller shot is obviously lead free, but I also use aresley bombs at about 3/4 oz sometimes)
I would have thought they are, most substitutes have proven to be too expensive to work with.
Thanks, I suppose I had better stock up on them then :Cool:

Im guessing the big piece of roofing lead I use to cut pieces from to make my feeders heavier is a no no then too :Hahaha:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

There was a church on the TV a couple of days ago that has had its roof stripped. Now that is a tad extreme but makes you wonder if people who go fishing weren't involved. Sorry, I can't bring myself to refer to them as anglers.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

You are right Aquaerial and furthermore there is constant pressure on the shooting community to ditch lead completely by trumped up reports that lead shot is damaging the environment and getting into the food chain, thankfully BASC is a strong force to provide a counter argument, not sure anglers have an equivalent body to defend the case on lead weights.

I am afraid those who are opposed to fishing and shooting see this as a good way to attack our country sports. Clay shooting will suffer badly if leadshot goes, it will just be too expensive and more importantly my lovely old English Side by Side will be confined to a display case !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Northern Eel wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:
Thanks, I suppose I had better stock up on them then :Cool:

Im guessing the big piece of roofing lead I use to cut pieces from to make my feeders heavier is a no no then too :Hahaha:
Need to be careful, those who were angling a lot during the early days of the last ban will remember all the spot checks that were done. I was checked several times, in fact I remember Matt Hayes being caught out whilst the cameras were filming. Now that wasn't a very good example to others.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

It won't be anglers, it will be thieving scum bags, having said that I know a church where anglers constantly put rubbish in the graveyard bins that are in place for dead flowers from graves, even though they have been told time and time again, they continue to do it instead of taking it home! so who knows what they get up to.

(I would like to point out that my lead is all legit!)

either way, looks like we will all have to make alternative arrangements soon!
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Mushy wrote:You are right Aquaerial and furthermore there is constant pressure on the shooting community to ditch lead completely by trumped up reports that lead shot is damaging the environment and getting into the food chain, thankfully BASC is a strong force to provide a counter argument, not sure anglers have an equivalent body to defend the case on lead weights.

I am afraid those who are opposed to fishing and shooting see this as a good way to attack our country sports. Clay shooting will suffer badly if leadshot goes, it will just be too expensive and more importantly my lovely old English Side by Side will be confined to a display case !!
As a countryman I just feel we should all stick together to defend what is more of a way of life than anything else. So much history, tradition and literature is wrapped up in it all and I may be judged as selfish but I like it and its fun. I'm not going to run on about what I have done over the years but in truth I doubt there is hardly a man jack amongst the so called do gooders that has done as much for conservation as I have. Most of them are bloody townies that know little or anything about country life, its balance and sustainability. Its all damn theory to them and not a jot of practical implementation...there is far too much politics wrapped up in it also for my liking. Why have I along with thousands of others committed so much to conservation over the years? Because we love our country life and a bit of sport is part of it.

Now that is a rant Shaun, bless ya!
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Checked for lead or non-lead shot?? Obviously had far too many Bailiffs then! Where was that?

Never-ever been checked for that - anywhere I have fished - (or my rod licence). No wonder the fish are disappearing around my way now!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Olly wrote:Checked for lead or non-lead shot?? Obviously had far too many Bailiffs then! Where was that?

Never-ever been checked for that - anywhere I have fished - (or my rod licence). No wonder the fish are disappearing around my way now!
1986 was when we were stopped from selling or using lead shot and lead weights between size 8 and 1 oz here in the U.K. (I'm not actually sure if it applied to Scotland or not).

The none checking of licences always amazes me as I have always been checked at least once a year and often more. I have been checked twice this year so far. Once on the River Trent and once on the River Dove although it is usually still water venues I get checked.
Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”