Pipes

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Pipes

Post by Mark »

Jack Hargreaves just wouldn't be Jack Hargreaves without a pipe in his mouth.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Beware of tobacco advertising, this Savoy's 'Baby's Bottom' smells more like old mans bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Go on waterweed, recommend a nice mellow blend for me to try. I've only gone for knock-yr-socks off english blends, which I love.

Nice old briar pipe there Hermit. What is it, a barling? I need to get myself one of those sturdy falcons.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Briar is a Dr Plumb, its got a meerschaum liner but to be honest I cant tell any difference in the smoke from my Petersen which is a similar shape. Useful design for driving though.

My next Falcon will have a bent stem - I always think they look like they've been involved in an accident but am sure the curve must help keep the spittle at bay.

I've never tried a 'Churchwarden' design and often wondered what they smoke like. My favorite pipes have always had larger bowls and once a good layer of carbon has built up in them seem to give the most satisfying smoke.

Of the more exotic brands Balkan Sobranie (not sure if that's spelt correctly) is nice and mellow but I'm not sure if it's still available.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have to agree with Hermit. Good spelling by the way, Balkan Sobranie smoking mixture or Borkum Riff cherry cavendish are my favourites.

I have a churchwarden. Can be a bit tricky until you get used to it. Given the length, it can take a bit of a suck. My favourite is a small bowl briar my wife bought me years ago. I'm only a very occasional smoker these days, I never really liked cigarettes but the smell of a nice pipe mixture brings back some nice memories.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Having given up cigarettes earlier this year I am quite enjoying surreptitiously reading about all these fancy pipes and exotic tobacco blends.
I could quite easily take up the pipe, but I shouldn't, I mustn't, I can't :hide:

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Of all my pipes a churchwarden and a short bend briar are my favourites - I took up the pipe shortly after quitting the dreaded cigarettes and was a little worried that I'd replace one addiction with another. Luckily this doesn't seem to have happened in my case and I feel totally in control of my pipe smoking: can take it or leave it as I wish.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

I didn't want to dour the conversation but my front teeth have gone all Ken Dodd. Too long on the pipe. Gum trouble and as they are falling down they are sticking out - so I'm on the Corosydl and trying to reserve a bowl full just for those special occasions. If you can limit the use of the pipe I think it's ok but I had mine in continually like a dummy (both meanings!) for years.

I will get one of those Churchwardens though!

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

I thought they don't make Balkan Sobranie anymore? Or is it the US version? I'd heard the Gawith and Hoggart and Germain blends are pretty close to the original.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Not seen it around for a while I must admit. I can't remember who made it either, I'll search out an old tin.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”