MKIV S/U

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: MKIV S/U

Post by Snape »

On close examination I thought the tip ring didn't quite look right so I threaded some 10lb line through it and got my son to hold it so I could apply pressure as per fighting a fish.
All seemed fine until I re-examined the tip ring which now looks like this.... :shocked:

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Ouh, seems as if you will loose half a cm of your tip. But don't break off the tip yet. Try to remove if by unwrapping and with heat. Maybe the cane piece inside the tip ring can be rescued? Some other advise gentlemen?
In the worst case you take off the tip ring, drill out the residual cane, reshape the tip and place it on again. Didn't you say your rod is slightly over 10 feet? Not a big loss but better it happened on testing the rod than on the bank...
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Snape wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:27 pm
OldTackle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:42 pm Makes me think Snape. Maybe there was a previous owner that fell in love with red? Sealers also do come in strange reel band colors to my eye. I remember the Fred Crouch line of pin's also were available in red anodized. Maybe there is some link? If you take off the rubber butt cap, do they easily slip out?
That is a possibility. The original owner's details are on the bag.

It says
Lady Brookes
Avonside
Bidford on Avon
'10' spinning rod'

I tracked her down as being the wife of the industrialist Lord Brookes (previously Sir Raymond Percival Brookes) who enjoyed fly fishing on the upper Wye. Maybe this was her salmon spinning rod and she liked the colour red. We'll never know as she died in 2004 aged 90.
Ah. Grandmama! :Tongue:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I saw it coming :Chuckle:
Could barely hold still not to 'eek' in this direction

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:15 pm
Snape wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:27 pm
OldTackle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:42 pm Makes me think Snape. Maybe there was a previous owner that fell in love with red? Sealers also do come in strange reel band colors to my eye. I remember the Fred Crouch line of pin's also were available in red anodized. Maybe there is some link? If you take off the rubber butt cap, do they easily slip out?
That is a possibility. The original owner's details are on the bag.

It says
Lady Brookes
Avonside
Bidford on Avon
'10' spinning rod'

I tracked her down as being the wife of the industrialist Lord Brookes (previously Sir Raymond Percival Brookes) who enjoyed fly fishing on the upper Wye. Maybe this was her salmon spinning rod and she liked the colour red. We'll never know as she died in 2004 aged 90.
Ah. Grandmama! :Tongue:
It fits. You inherited the title and are now Lord Bob!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

From the pictures it looks like they didn't used to subtract the seating depth of the male counter into the female ferrule from the length of the butt cane section.

American fly rod makers make a lot of effort to get their sections exactly the same length by making allowance for the extra length a tip eye adds and the seating depth of the female ferrule - I have no idea why this convention wasn''t followed by English coarse rod builders unless it was simply a way to speed up production by skipping all the measuring and checking that goes with getting it just right?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The tip eye looks to be one that is only held on by arms that are whipped over. A new eye incorporating a proper tube for the cane will sort that issue.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

SofaSurfer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 pm The tip eye looks to be one that is only held on by arms that are whipped over. A new eye incorporating a proper tube for the cane will sort that issue.
I would bet on the fact that tip ferrule is hollow. You will have to shape the tip with a taper. Those stems are very fine and bendable. They would never stand any test curve. But don't worry Snape. That isn't a big issue and I am sure there is someone experienced close to you to fix that. Even if you want to have a go yourself I would encourage you to do it!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Nigel, if you want to replace the reel bands I have a pair of originals your welcome to. Shame about the tip letting go like that, seems a strange place to break? I do wonder if it's suffered a mishap in the past?

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Gentlemen, I have an offer of a BJames MKIV .... around £200 . Is this a fair price

BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”