LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Unknown Rod identification

Post by LuckyLuca »

AshbCut, I owe you a pint, spot on!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Greene King "Abbot" please.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Couple more questions if I may,
I had these rods out this afternoon for the first real good look, both pleased and horrified!
All three rods are surprisingly straight and the joints "pop" rather pleasingly :D
The Glass WH Norris is in about as good condition as I could have hoped for and other than the varnish starting to look a bit tired looks ready to fish.
Unfortunately the cane rods will need a little more TLC. The Avon is basically sound but needs to have a missing guide replaced and a number re-whipped. This said a referb would probably be best.
The Spanish reed is rather badly cracked, I'm just hoping its repairable.

So, what is this kind of refurbishment likely to cost? Do any of these rods have the intrinsic value to make refurbishment viable? Or would i be investing the cash purely for the pleasure of taking the reds out on the bank?

Secondly I would like to get a reel or two to complement these rods, any suggestions of reels to look out for?
Ideally fairly indestructible as I may not really know what to look for when purchasing.
Thanks again for your time.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

LuckyLuca & AshbyCut,
As you have probably read on the Tackle Shop section I was pretty close to W H Norris way back when.

Knocker made my first rod for me when I was 10 or 11 so that was 1953/4. It was a 3 piece about 10ft long in cane with the top section of greenhart. It was definitely not a 'kids' rod but was made for me probably from sections in his workshop & had the makers name & my initials on it. It later became a pike rod with a short, stiff top section replacing the original. This rod has long since gone the ways of many.
Image Image Image
My second rod was made in 1956/7 and is a proper man's rod which I used for years on the Leam, Avon & even further afield. It is remarkably similar to the one that AshbyCut has listed so that should date that rod for him. I have shown photos of that rod together with another Norris rod that I have. Now this is a real concidence as it bears the same owners initial as his. From memory this was given to me by a friend of my late fathers probably 30 years ago (Herbert?). He was a regular at Knocker's shop so I wonder if the 2 rods were made for the same person. This rod is made with 2 tops, I guess the lighter one for roach & the heavier for bream & tench. This rod is in good nick but would benefit from a varnish & the rings cleaning. 'My' rod needs a rewhip, and that is a lot of whipping so I guess it will never be done. Offers would be considered for the pair if they were to be of use to someone!

Bill Norris always had close contact with the Redditch tackle companies and bought in some rods & rod parts. I know he bought split cane from Aspindales & had a contact at Shakespeare where he obtained surplus glass & later, carbon blanks that he finished. A still have a lovely dry fly rod I had from him in 1961 which originated from Manor works, Redditch which was one of the Aspindale factories.

When my son took up his fishing seriously, we travelled from our then home in Nottingham to see Bill & he made for him a carbon/glass float rod. This would have been about 1989/90 and was not too long before he sold the business. Although Stuart was pleased with the rod, and still treasures it, it is obvious that Bill & his wife, Gladys, had their best rod making days behind them.
I hope this is of some interest to you both. I will be adding some information on Woodfield in another post.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Many thanks for posting Bob - a really informative post on a maker I must admit to knowing next to nothing about.
Jim

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thank you for sharing, Bob. It's wonderful to have this depth of information available, especially as it's of such a part of your personal fishing history.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

LuckyLuca,
Woodfield were a very long running company being established in Redditch in 1833 making needles & fishing hooks. The fishing tackle was sold under various brand names, Unsurpassable, The Easemore, Admiral Brand & The Grosvenor. They merged with Grice & Young in 1946 & moved from Redditch to Christchurch only to be dissolved in 1980. They ran for a remarkably long while for a company who's products are relatively little known.

I have seen adverts from the fishing Gazette in 1891 up to an advert in 1949, when they had relocated, advertising that they made rods. I have never seen one so I guess they may be considered rare.
I attach a picture of a pike float I own made by Woodfield with the Unsurpassable sticker on it. It is probably my rarest float & I would love to know if anyone knows of another, I don't!

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Bob that's just brilliant!
To me it's stories like yours that bring vintage tackle to life!
I have no idea what the value of your rods is but id love to give them a home and a few visits to the bank!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I have to say, the pleasure I have had over the last few minutes, feeling like I now own a tiny little bit of history is quite something!

Thank you so much Bob, I'm sure that wasn't 5 minutes work to prepare and write!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, that was kind of you Bob, and very interesting too.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”