When is a fly not a fly ?

General fly fishing chat area.
Aitch
Pike

Re: When is a fly not a fly ?

Post by Aitch »

To my eyes anyway...
(and this may be an oversimplification of the ideas behind them, but to someone who only dabbles occasionally in "Fly" fishing it works for me....)
It's a fly if it imitates a winged creature.... it's a nymph if it imitates a sunken emerger/pupae.... and a lure if it imitates fish/fry...

it helps if I stay with this definition

:Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A fly is a "fly" as designated by the EA when making Fishery Bye-Laws - what is their definition?

Fly only waters/clubs/syndicates must also define what they consider a "fly" in their Rules?

A natural imitation with rubber legs or thorax - traditional fly? Modern fly?

Fly spoons?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Some of these are remarkably close to that which they imitate, others not so.... but would you call them flies though....????

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=na ... ORM=IQFRBA
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I try to imitate the natural food of a trout because it introduces another dimension to my day by the river. I could use an Appetiser and drag it through the deep pools, that would probably catch a few fish. Observing the aquatic and terrestrial insects, choosing a pattern and presenting it nicely is rewarding and I tend to drive home smiling if that happens. It rarely does.
My most enjoyable day last season involved a fussy trout, lots of observation, an upstream dry fly and a hooked fish which escaped. I didn't catch anything although an evening at the weir pool with a Sweeney Todd would have guaranteed a trout.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

So it depends upon your choice - which we all have - hence the myriads of flies available! Either way as above you are fly fishing.

Your choice or Rules to use an upstream dry fly - my choice to use a 3" tube fly when salmon fishing.

We are both fly fishing - using our preferred method and a non-metallic 'fish enticer'!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Harry,

That looks like the characters in 'A Bug's Life' rather than imitations of natural insects. I wouldn't use most of them.

Another pleasing aspect of fly fishing is the creation of something that looks like an aquatic or terrestrial insect. Even if the fish ignore it :-)

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've often thought about flies and floats. I've got hundreds of both, boxes full of floats that I have made, found or bought. Even more boxes of flies. I have flies that were tied 45 years ago and have never been used. They never will be, they are pretty, flashy things.

Having watched feeding trout rise to a fly, examine it closely and turn away with a scornful flick of their tail I am determined to present something more realistic.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

A maggot normally works!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

In some cases, it depends how it's tied. The "Peter Ross" is a good example.
Tied skinny, on a small hook, with a "wing" of a few fibres of teal suggesting segmented legs, a tiny pinch of scarlet for a thorax and as pale a tippet as you can find for a shuck, it's a decent midge pupa.
Tied fat, on a big, long-shanked hook, with a long, swept-back teal wing tied David Collyer-style to suggest a dark back, a big puff of scarlet gills and a bold tippet tail, it's an out-and-out lure. It's all a matter of intent.
Most commercially tied ones lack any fixity of purpose so fall between two stools, which may account for the pattern's mediocre reputation.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Watermole+ wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:06 pm The word 'house' covers everything from a habitable shed to a palace, 'bait' is anything at all which you put on your hook so whether we want to call flies just that, lures, streamers or any other name, it matters not one jot and no-one really cares..

Like so many other things, 'flies' are all things to all anglers and there is no difference of any consequence.

wm+
This exactly. Semantics nothing more.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “General Fly Chat”