Improve Your Course Fishing magazine article

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
St.John
Tench

Re: Improve Your Course Fishing magazine article

Post by St.John »

Typically of yates he's being traditional, and correct. When making tea with a teapot, and China crockery the milk goes in first to lower the temperature of the scalding hot tea from the tea pot, and stop the bone China cracking. It's already brewed in the tea pot, so milk in before or after makes no difference. I used to get a ticking off for doing it the wrong way when i was young. Of course if you're pouring it into builders mugs it makes naff all difference anyway!!! Sorry, being a smart arse.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

To share a good cuppa and days angling with Chris, that would indeed be a good day and a grand adventure. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I may have to amend my ways.
It's all about denaturing milk proteins. If milk is poured into hot tea, individual drops separate from the bulk of the milk, and come into contact with the high temperatures of the tea for enough time for significant denaturation - degradation - to occur. This is much less likely to happen if hot water is added to the milk.

The Royal Society of Chemistry's definitive recipe for the perfect cup of tea

Ingredients Loose leaf Assam tea, soft water, fresh chilled milk, white sugar.

Implements Kettle, ceramic teapot, large ceramic mug, fine mesh tea strainer, tea spoon, microwave oven.

Method Draw fresh soft water and place in the kettle and boil. While waiting for the water to boil place a tea pot containing a quarter of a cup of water in a microwave oven on full power for one minute.

Place one rounded teaspoon of tea per cup into pot.
Take the pot to the kettle as it is boiling, pour on to the leaves and stir.
Leave to brew for three minutes.
The ideal receptacle is a ceramic mug.
Pour milk into the cup first followed by the tea, aiming to achieve a colour that is rich and attractive.
Add sugar to taste.
Drink at 60-65C, to avoid vulgar slurping which results from trying to drink tea at too high a temperature.
To gain optimum ambience for enjoyment of tea aim to achieve a seated drinking position in a favoured spot where quietness and calm will elevate the moment.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Wow. Now i'm impressed! I heard about that, but never really believed it... Now I do. I'm glad that other people take it as seriously! How about a tea section mark??

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Mr Yates prefers soya milk! surely that's the juice of the devil?
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very interesting Snape, very interesting, I am now a converted coffee drinker. :hahaha:

ST, a forum for tea I hear you say, please see 'The other items of tackle' forum, under 'Kelly Kettle'. :wink:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I didn't realise that yates drinks soya in tea, I often do and it ain't that bad at all actually...

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

My ex does and I drank from her cup by mistake one day. Yuk, very sickly.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

If you have the unsweetend stuff it's not to bad. But nutty like!!

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Snape wrote:I may have to amend my ways.
It's all about denaturing milk proteins. If milk is poured into hot tea, individual drops separate from the bulk of the milk, and come into contact with the high temperatures of the tea for enough time for significant denaturation - degradation - to occur. This is much less likely to happen if hot water is added to the milk.

The Royal Society of Chemistry's definitive recipe for the perfect cup of tea

Ingredients Loose leaf Assam tea, soft water, fresh chilled milk, white sugar.

Implements Kettle, ceramic teapot, large ceramic mug, fine mesh tea strainer, tea spoon, microwave oven.

Method Draw fresh soft water and place in the kettle and boil. While waiting for the water to boil place a tea pot containing a quarter of a cup of water in a microwave oven on full power for one minute.

Place one rounded teaspoon of tea per cup into pot.
Take the pot to the kettle as it is boiling, pour on to the leaves and stir.
Leave to brew for three minutes.
The ideal receptacle is a ceramic mug.
Pour milk into the cup first followed by the tea, aiming to achieve a colour that is rich and attractive.
Add sugar to taste.
Drink at 60-65C, to avoid vulgar slurping which results from trying to drink tea at too high a temperature.
To gain optimum ambience for enjoyment of tea aim to achieve a seated drinking position in a favoured spot where quietness and calm will elevate the moment.
Correct. My Nan taught me that when I was very small. She wasn't a member of the Royal Society either - just someone who'd made an awful lot of tea since before the Great War. The tendency to add milk afterwards is directly attributable to the use of tea bags, which a) force you to add the water first (to do otherwise is a recipe for insipid tea) and b) don't allow the tea to infuse properly and make adding the correct quantity of milk a matter for precise judgement after the fact.

Return to “Chris Yates”