A day on the Vrain

General fly fishing chat area.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: A day on the Vrain

Post by Nigel Rainton »

"To me it's not that you bring them to hand that counts, but getting them to bite. And if you can get them to bite, you're on your game working the fly like you're supposed to"

I agree, the deception is more important to me. Over the years I kept a rough tally, half of takes connected with, half of fish hooked actually netted. About 1 in 4, not so good if I only get a couple of takes. Nevermind, I enjoy it.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

What a nice report, Iasgair, and this Gingerbread fly looks splendid!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

The Gingerbread has been a huge success this year, and believe me, it has been an off year for fishing. Though, this fly has done very well in all the places I have used it, in fact, it has produced better than I thought it would.

I wonder if it's because of the dubbing because of the way it sparkles. On bright sunny days the fly does exceptionally well and I do tend to think it is the sparkle from the dubbing getting the attention from the fish and enticing them to come in and take it.

Who really knows why this fly works like it does. All I know is I think I came up with a great pattern that will always be in my fly box. I should register it and get a patten for it. That is if I were being smart about it.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “General Fly Chat”