Two old mates on The River Stort.

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Tizer
Chub

Re: Two old mates on The River Stourt.

Post by Tizer »

Aitch wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:18 pm A couple of years ago I walked the bank from The Harlow Mill pub to the Moorhen Marina and back... I was drop shotting/jigging for Perch/Pike... not a touch did I have... the chap in Harlow Angling vouchsafed to me afterwards that the local foreign contingent had taken nearly every predator for the pot... I can't comment on this, but there certainly were no bites... to the left of the High Wych roundabout and along the A414 towards Ware and St Margarets looks open and barren, I never ever saw anyone fish that stretch in the 17 years I drove along it to work
And it is like that in the whole Lea Valley ( ie lack of pike taken for the pot,it is one of the reasons I moved away from the area) Shame the Valley is such a beaultiful area...anyway the Stort used to be full and I been full of crayfish back then,which might mean some big chub or perch.happy days

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Duckett wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:32 pm Looks like the Spellbrook stretch to me (I’ve never actually managed to find the LAA Pole Hole stretch). I’ve only ever had small to medium sized Roach from it. My best catch was on the bank opposite the stream that runs into it just up from the bridge/lock. There are stories of Carp but I’ve never seen one or heard a reliable account. The backwater next to the marina actually looks more interesting but it’s so overgrown that I’ve never managed to get to its banks! I’ve never met another angler there. The pub does very nice food!

The stretch on the opposite side of the bridge/lock is controlled by Bishops Stortford & District AS. I’ve recently joined but haven’t tried this stretch, though reports suggest it has more and more varied fish (the lock seems to open very rarely). I believe day tickets are available.

Have a good day there. I’d love to read your report.

Phil
Thanks for your feed back Gents, been very interesting...
I was fishing yesterday and took a sneaky look while I was on the bank ( River Beult kent, plenty of Roach and Rudd and a Jack on a worm, float ledgered... ( for a Tench) went like a "Bat out of hell" on lightish tackle, around 4lbs)
I have taken all your comments on board and feel saddened at the Pike and Perch loss.
I am still looking forward to a dangle because as you know, There is more to fishing than catching fish .. (Fred J Taylor)
I spent an interesting half hour on google maps this morning and have found the LAA Pole Whole stretch as well as the Parking and The Pub! ( The Dusty Miller, love the name!!!)
I wonder what this river was like in Isaac Waltons day? Must have been wonderful.
Always nice to fish a new venue..
I will keep you posted with some photos of our day.

Tight lines and thanks again.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well its this Thursday...
Putting our bikes in the van so we can load up, park and ride.
Be nice to have a bit of freedom to ride up and down the stretch to find our swim and save our sciatica!
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Two old mates on The River Stort.

Post by Mr B »

Well we had a cracking day despite
only a few small fish.
I collected Jeff on Thursday morning from his small house in Rotherhithe.
When I arrived he was ready and really looking forward to the day
I gave Jeff his gifts, his, rod, a 12 ft Float Caster Deluxe, reels, a Intrepid Elite and an Allcocks Airealite centerpin with line a guard, an old tin tackle box, compleat with floats, hooks, shots, every thing he needed ( got that just two days earlier second hand) and a seat box.
We took our bikes because as kids we went everywhere on them so it was fitting that we took them along and could load them up and cycle along the river to find a swim for two.
It didn't take long to drive through the tunnel, and the nasty old drab streets to get to the M11 and then get to the lay by were I was going to park up my old van ( The Blue Wagoon) under an hour.
We loaded up the bikes and rode down the narrow track for a sort of scary kamikaze ride down the river to find a nice swim.
(I'm a fat bloke, so riding the bike with it loaded up to the gunnels was quite tricky, But my years in the saddle gave me the experience to tackle it!)
We got to our swim and dipped into the bait box of maggots and a tin of sweet corn and catapulted a few loads over over the river.
Jeff untied his rod from the crossbar slid it out of the bag and I showed him how to put it together, then his reel, I thought I would start with the centerpin.
He was chuffed to bits!
I showed him how to tackle up and then from his box I took out a plumit and explained how it worked and showed him how we use them to get the right depth.
I showed him how to cast and as soon as the float hit the water I caught a small Dace, Jeff couldn't belief it!
Now it was his turn... it didn't go that well, do I cast again for a demo and again.. a small Dace...
Jeff had another go and this time got it right.... and missed a bite..
I then tackled up using my Marco Arun ( my go to rod that has been restored to perfection by Tengisgole, far better then it would have looked fresh from the factory!) and another Alcock's Airilate.
I cast in and caught a small Roach then sorted Jeff out with more casting, tangles and laughs.
The wind got up after about an hour so we fished on for a bit but it was hard going.
I then said we will change reels and have a crack at ledgering, emplaning the principles and then started fishing.
Now Jeff is a real chatter box and a tad eccentric! So we spent most of the time eating sandwiches and talking about things both past and present from bonfire nights to the pyramids of Egypt and how they make split cane rods!
We caught no more fish ( I had around 8 on the float with one nice little spirited Dace)
Jeff missed a good rod bending bite ledgering because he was talking to much!
It was the first time I fished the river but I think with some more time on it it could produce a few surprises!
We ended up fishing untill 6 pm and then having a pint in The Three Horseshoes at Spellbrook to finish a great day, a nice pub with good food just two minutes from the river.
A cracking day with an old mate.
He wants to go again.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nice report. Glad to see the two of you had a good time!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Happy days,Thanks for sharing that,it reminded me of when we kids ,your bike was like part of your body,you never went anywhere without it,I remember we used to cycle along the Lea from Tottenham along the tow path,sometimes my mate would be sitting on the rack all the way to Cheshunt ,boy that must have hurt ,but he was a lot lighter than me.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done, I really enjoyed reading about your outing and seeing the pictures! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

“He wants to go again” Sums it up perfectly well done to both of you and thanks for posting - very enjoyable :Hat:

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Lovely account of your day out.I have just started cycling again after many years,mainly to get fitter and save using the van for short trips.I must take it in the van when I start Roach fishing on the Chelmer Navigation.I'm bound to end up in the water at some point!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

We did have a great day!
Its not easy wrapping up a days fishing and more besides in a short recap. I left a lot out.
The flocks of Swallows, dipping into the river..The baby Ducks lost but finding mum, The lack of wood for my Kelley kettle, just dried Hog weed! ( got round that) The 8 Pike bandits from across the sea using fluorescent jelly worms who took an interest in my catapult for shooting Ducks after blanking with Pike! ( I told them it was for ground baiting but they didn't get it)
I was a little disappointed that a bailiff never did turn up to check my LAA membership and charge Jeff for his day ticket on this stretch of the Stort and check to see if we had a rod licence ( I paid for Jeffs 1 day licence on line)
But.,, Thats what makes us different.
We do things right, and that makes things good the world.
Another one of them days to remember.

Mr B.

Return to “Other Rivers”