Baldwins Pond and Blackweir/Lost Pond (Epping Forest)

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Bigoll
Silver Bream

Re: Baldwins Pond and Blackweir/Lost Pond (Epping Forest)

Post by Bigoll »

As promised to the chaps over on the Roding thread, here's news of my trip to Baldwins Pond on Sunday. Sorry if it's a bit long and for the lack of decent photos - my camera developed a fault so was stuck with my phone, plus the fish weren't obliging when sitting for their portrait!

I had planned to have a session on the Roding but the level was still pretty high so decided to head to the forest ponds instead. My choice of which one to visit was made for me when I received a call from a good friend of mine who was at a loose end and needed entertaining. His wife's family live a stone's throw from Baldwins Pond, so I could kill two birds with one stone.

The day started - as all Sundays should in my view - with a trip to the Log Cabin Cafe in Abridge for an enormous fry-up. If you're not familiar with this very special place, imagine a pioneer's cabin air-lifted from the Rockies and dropped in the middle of an affluent Essex village. It's so out of place it's wonderful, with walls covered in all manner of paraphernalia, wooden carvings and even a bear skin (whether it's real or not I'm not sure). And it is literally a log cabin, not just a regular building with a name! Here's a photo:

We paid our £4.95 and tucked into a full English, plate of bread and butter and mug of builders' tea apiece, enjoying the crackling log fire and the eclectic clientele. The place is a magnet for local tradesmen (we shared our long wooden table with a few builders), those seeking to alleviate a hangover (the young lady in her tiger-skin onesie nursing a ruffled look and a can of Red Bull) and even as a local hot spot (well dressed couple looking like they were on a date), as well as a place to take the family. Waving thanks to the pretty ladies who run the show and Ron, who owns the place but was busy chopping wood, we headed back to Loughton with bulging bellies.

My chum had a few things to do first so I headed down the hill to Baldwins Pond, thankful I'd chosen to pack my hiking boots as the mud sucked at my feet. After all the recent rain the pond was looking full and healthy, which made a change from the muddy puddle I saw in the summer. There were no other anglers around on a chilly Sunday morning so I had my pick of swims, opting for one next to the reed bed in the trees (see my previous image in this thread).

Someone had removed the logs which formed an unofficial jetty allowing casting access to the fertile fishing grounds around the reedbed, but I tackled up and made the most of it with a simple waggler and maggot set-up. However, after an hour I'd not had so much as a nibble so I decided to move to another swim.

I set up on the platform above the over-spill at the southern tip of the pond, with the running water under my feet adding a pleasant sound to fish by.

The move proved to be a wise one, as the float slid under and I connected with a scale-perfect Epping Forest roach. Several more followed over the next couple of hours, and to a decent size of around that of my hand. Again, sorry for lack of photos - standing over a metal grid above running water holding a fish and a slippery, expensive phone, did not make for the best conditions!

While the Log Cabin Cafe has an eclectic clientele, so does the forest! First to pass by was a gaggle of young ladies in fancy dresses clutching large bunches of flowers; it transpired they were conducting a photo-shoot in the woods and hadn't been expecting it to be quite so muddy, as the one in ruined suede Ugg boots would testify. The next odd group was heralded by a rat-tat-tat sound as a troop of Combined Cadet Force youths emerged from downstream in full camo gear and sporting replica assault rifles. They consulted maps, joshed around and headed off deep into the trees - later I saw blue smoke from a signal flare drifting up into the sky. After them and a load of dog-walkers came a slightly crazed looking old chap dragging large branches along behind him...but more of him later.

After landing my 8th roach, my friend showed up to keep me company. After watching me cast around for number 9, he announced he'd never even held a rod before and would I mind if he had a go. As I'm sure you'll agree, teaching someone else to fish is one of the great joys of our sport, so I was only too happy to pull out my spare rod and reel and set him up for his first ever cast. After a few dry-runs he had a decent technique nailed down so set about casting into the pond. Lo and behold, as always happens in these situations, his float and not mine slide under and a fish was on the hook. The combination of sheer surprise, excitement, confusion, panic and exhilaration which exhibits itself on the face of a virgin angler hooking their first fish is something I will never forget or tire of. Like a man returned to childhood, he hopped around exclaiming 'what do I do? What do I do?' Telling him to reel it in gently and guide the fish to my waiting hands, he landed his first ever fish - another beautiful, mirror-sided roach. Still in full childhood mode he examined his catch with all the wonder one might reserve for the Crown Jewels and took a couple of snaps with his iPhone to preserve the moment for posterity.

As I slid the fish back into the water he announced 'blimey - it's exciting stuff this fishing, isn't it!'. I grinned and told him that it can be, but not to expect catches all the time. Naturally, this was the cue for him to go on and catch another fine roach while I failed to add to my tally of 8 for the rest of the day. The fishing died off as the afternoon closed in and the temperature dropped away so we moved swims for a last short session opposite where I'd started. That was when the old chap mentioned earlier cropped up again - he was in my starting swim, reconstructing the log jetty. Once happy it was safe enough to stand on, he then set about erecting a large branch at a 45 degree angle over the water and tied a baited hook onto the end. As I watched I thought he might be an undesirable setting up a fixed line to snare the pike overnight for the dinner table (in which case I'd have marched over, dismantled it and given him a stern telling-off). But once he'd cast the line out he sat down facing the bank and didn't move for nearly an hour. As we prepared for our last 5 minutes, the old chap stood up, roared with laughter, took the line off the branch and hurled the log into the undergrowth, doing a little jig as he did so. We weren't sure whether to laugh or flee from the loon, but opted for the former. Still, at least he was just mad and not bad.

We packed up and trudged back up the hill, waxing lyrical about the afternoon's sport. It turns out he's often at a loose end on a Sunday morning, he says, and suggests we do this again very soon; I think it's safe to say that angling has a new recruit...

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

A great write up Bigoll,

Funny you mention the Log Cabin Cafe, I first noticed it while driving through Abridge with my parents in the mid 70's (they used to like to go to the Garden Centre near the Airfield. Been through Abridge loads and loads of times since ( the old White Heart Pub now sadly flats was an 80's haunt of mine as was and is the Maltsters) but i've never actually been in there. Might have to one of these days.

Did you seen many signs of Pike activity? last time I fished Baldwins two summers ago I had two small ones. Supposed to be some nice Tench in there as well.

Gaz

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Most kind, Gaz, though I wish I'd managed to get a few snaps of the roach - they really were scale-perfect and mirror-silver.

I know what you mean about the Log Cabin Cafe - it took me 5 years of driving through Abridge thinking 'I wonder what that place is' before I actually paid it a visit. Funnily enough, the only reason I did that was because a friend of mine had been thinking the same thing for 10 years and dragged me along to finally put the wondering to bed! I think it's one of those places that looks so weird many people keep wondering and don't dare give it a go. I can highly recommend it though! Ron, who owns the place, also built his own lake out the back - take a look on Google maps. I don't know when or why (I don't think even he does) but I do wonder if there are fish in it and if he'd let anyone have a bash.........It could be that rarest of things - a completely unfished water.

No sign of pike activity per se this time around, but there were occasional bursts of ripples and breaches that may have indicated a predator scaring the shoal. I saw pike surging in the summer, but also some undesirables fishing for them, so couldn't tell you if there are any still in there, but I'd have thought so. I found big dead pike on the bank last year too. Maybe I'll pop down when the weather gets properly cold and ledger a sprat.....

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Bigoll what a superb account. I know these places well. A Roach from Baldwins just sublime...I fished there last summer, from that very swimm. Thanks...

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

As I said boys, I tend to hibernate a bit these days so wont fish much between now and March.

But as always When they fall on work days) i'll book off the first two days on the season.

Next year its Baldwins on the 16th and Highams Park on the 17th. I'll take quite a few baits ans half a pint of maggots for if all else fails.

Will hopefully get out before Christmas though.

Gaz

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”