Barbel Stories

This forum is for discussing barbel.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: Barbel Stories

Post by TemeLAD »

Yes indeed Luke - though its an anthology, so as good as they are I don't think it contains any actual stories of Jon's. Though no doubt all the stories reflect the meticulous research needed to pull together such gems. His "More Great Pike Stories" from the same publisher is another.

I will stop now for fear of embarrassing him :)
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

TemeLAD wrote:I will stop now for fear of embarrassing him :)
Go on, a little bit more :D

His ferox book, Beneath the Black Water, is high on my reading list and one that I will definitely be getting hold of at some point over the winter.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Luke wrote:His ferox book, Beneath the Black Water, is high on my reading list and one that I will definitely be getting hold of at some point over the winter.
An excellent book. :D
and in chapter 3, Polly, Jon mentions 'Nigel the hippy' - that is in fact me! :shocked:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

In a quiet moment at work tomorrow I'll have to have a flick through a copy to get the lowdown!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Luke wrote:In a quiet moment at work tomorrow I'll have to have a flick through a copy to get the lowdown!
Don't expect too much. It is literally just a mention!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Oh! OK Luke just a little bit more then.....

Beneath the Black Water - is a cracker! - a really honest, bare your soul in public account of the authors early obsession with Ferox.

If you are ever feeling just a tad sorry for yourself because you have blanked then read this book - it puts it all in perspective.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

TemeLAD wrote:Oh! OK Luke just a little bit more then.....

Beneath the Black Water - is a cracker! - a really honest, bare your soul in public account of the authors early obsession with Ferox.

If you are ever feeling just a tad sorry for yourself because you have blanked then read this book - it puts it all in perspective.

Hear hear, one of the best reads i've had.There are not many books I've read, put down and picked it up to read again..over a space of just 3 days! Just put an order in for his A train to catch.

Oh yes, and Can of worms is always within easy reach as a reference point.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I'm currently reading Barbel River, which has the interesting premise of telling the story partly from the barbel's point of view

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”