New rod

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Re: New rod

Post by Iasgair »

Liphook wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:15 pm I know collectors always gravitate to the Hardy classics but I wouldn't discount the far more affordable and equally practical reels from JWYoung, Sharpes, Grice&Young etc in the 31/4" to 31/2" narrow sizes (I actually prefer a slightly bigger than generally accepted fly reel diameter as I find the cutesy 'midge' sized reels overly slow on the retrieve and bad for inducing line memory on modern lines). If I can help find you one on this side of the pond just ask Iasgair :Hat:
That is very kind of you. Thank you very much for the offer.

I have heard of the JW Young reels before but not of the others.
I will certainly keep your offer in mind. :Hat:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Another possibility is the 80's/90's made Orvis Battenkill's which I think were made by Hardy's/Youngs. I have a few of these and cant fault them (the drag is good as well!)
A nice traditional looking reel.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Silfield wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:34 pm Another possibility is the 80's/90's made Orvis Battenkill's which I think were made by Hardy's/Youngs. I have a few of these and cant fault them (the drag is good as well!)
A nice traditional looking reel.
I looked at the Battenkill's and I like the looks of them along with their performance.

I did get my Pflueger Medalist the other day and one of the things I like about it is it's a click and pawl, so no drag system except my hand, so I'll be fishing the way it was back in the early 1900's. Just like Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

That Sir, is a thing of beauty. You are a lucky man, I hope it fishes as good as it looks :Ok: :Ok:
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Have you looked at the small size Ross reel, I have several ross reels and find they are a quality product.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Barbellina wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:03 pm That Sir, is a thing of beauty. You are a lucky man, I hope it fishes as good as it looks :Ok: :Ok:
Thank you. This is my third split bamboo rod from this maker. I trust his work and every time he has hit the nail on the head for what I want. Plus he's affordable for the common man. But this rod was the most expensive so far.
Martin James wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:59 pm Have you looked at the small size Ross reel, I have several ross reels and find they are a quality product.
I have a few Ross reels on my other rods. Ross reels and Scott rods, both made in Colorado are a married couple. But like everything, Ross reels have gone up in price. I wanted something other than a large arbor reel because in the USA they just dint look right on a cane rod. The reel I got is a classic and it looks right. This is my first Medalist reel, so if I don't like it I may switch to a Teton reel or a Aspen. I love Ross reels, but to pay over $300 is not what I need.

Return to “General Fly Chat”