Charity shop finds

The Other Reels forum.
MWithell
Chub

Re: Charity shop finds

Post by MWithell »

Yours lasted a couple of years?! You were lucky. Anyway, it was a budget reel, just as there are budget reels now which fulfil a purpose. People can get into fishing comparatively cheaply and see whether they like it. If so, there's better gear available if they wish to buy it. If not, they haven't wasted a lot of money.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Pretty sure I went Black Prince, Prince Regent, and then to Mitchell 324’s.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

For some reason I can't now remember, I graduated to an Intrepid Extra, which I still have knocking around. My next reel was a Mitchell Match which I saved up for for ages. That's still in working order. I keep looking at it and wondering whether to give it an outing sometime.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Ah yes, I had an Extra as well! Used for light sea fishing when on hols.

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Ah yes the Tru-Spin.Used and endorsed by Lady Penelope.Parker was her ghillie.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

MWithell wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:04 pm If you want that reel, Kev, I'm happy to go back and see if it's still there on Monday. I think the name on it is Herculy. The bottom stroke of the y is worn.
Well true to his word the Gentlemanly Malcom did indeed rescue "Little Herculu" from charity shop confinement and release him into my care.
His bankside debut came about a couple of evenings ago
20230620_211116.jpg
in front of a select audience .

20230806_192923.jpg
20230806_194402.jpg
Coupled with a 9' cane " boys' rod" with a bent greenheart tip Herculu took part in the subjugation of a dozen or more small rudd.
Great fun and many thanks to Malcom🤏🎩
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That’s a great result Kev, nice post.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Very glad to know it was man enough to tame them fearsome rudd! That sounds a good rod to go with it. I must admit to not having yet used the centrepin you very kindly sent me although I've furnished it with some 4lb line . Perhaps I should team it with the item from the walking stick family that I found in the same shop - an Allcocks Viking of whole cane with a greenheart tip which is suffering from brewers droop. However, I think it would go well with my Octofloat on a river, as it's extremely free running. The club has stretches of river which I've never tried as I tend to favour still water.
I definitely intend using it at the Wally bash next month, though. I'm hoping it will handle those mighty gonks.
Malcolm

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

MWithell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:45 pm Very glad to know it was man enough to tame them fearsome rudd! That sounds a good rod to go with it.
I sort of hoped that Herculu's gentle initiation with a few rudd would lead to an opportunity of proving himself against a tench .
Sadly ,while Herculu performed as a reel should, l let him down by proving unable to tease even a nibble from one of the Green Ones.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

I got a hit of nostalgia when I found a mint boxed Black Prince at a Saturday market in Bridport a few years ago; got it for a fiver.

I tucked it away in a cupboard and now and again I would take it out to bring back some wonderful memories.

I often check out the charity shops in my area, but have yet to find much fishing related.
I have seen a few reels in house clearance shops and warehouses, but they had obviously done their research, and priced them all accordingly.

Since that first Saturday Market Black Prince, I have collected a few more mint or near mint examples (plus one American version, the Tomcat), and a few boyo's.

The black prince was my first fixed spool reel, followed up (because of a grooved bail arm) by a New De Luxe and an Extra; I did eventually progress to a Mitchell 410A (my dream reels at the time were the Mitchell 300 and 440A Match, but the tackle shop recommended a 410, so that's what I happily ended up with).

Return to “Other Reels”