List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Mark »

JonnyP, you have some nice Ambidex reels here.

The top picture looks like a No. 1 type 2 if it says LTD after the J.W. Young & Sons, the handle in the picture is obscuring this, dated around 1947-48 as in late 1947 Young’s became a limited company.

The middle picture looks like a No. 2 type 2 dated again 1947-48.

The bottom picture is a slope back Mark 6 dated 1961, the same reel that SK has. These came in black, blue and gold, the swan neck Mark 6 came in blue.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I see there is a Mark Six listed on eBay at the moment, complete with box, leaflet, and spool, so it looks genuine....and yet it has the later Mitchell type 'roller' bail arm!

Now I thought that was only introduced on the Mark Nine and the swan-necks...or so my collection of Allcocks catalogues intimates.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'm beginning to realise that the problem with Ambidexes is that, as Moley has said elsewhere, there is probably a huge vareity of minor variations. Some parts are not interchangeable, but those that were, or are, appear to have been interchanged at will, either in the factory or after they were sold. I suspect Youngs were playing catch up with the likes of Mitchell and which drove the many variations we see. The problem was (and is for us) that whilst the reels were well engineered and robust, the production engineering rerquired for efficient mass production was lacking, probably due to the tradition of artisan reel making in the UK.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You could be right there Sean.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I have an ambidex match and the similar one they made for Edgar Sealy. Both good reels but the Young's is better quality internally and externally. i got them to go with a pair of Chapmans hunters I'm having restored, one done and awaiting a new tip for the second, but will be looking for a second ambidex match and the Sealy one can go on my black arrow or octopus :wink:

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Well now - today as I was buying up some reels from a house clearance I came across an Amidex I have only read about: the original 1944 casting reel in black finish (legend tells that this was beacause Youngs were using up old military paint!). I wasn't sure about it - the reel needs a darn good clean and the plate wasn't readable - but as I cleaned the plate when I got home the magic word "PROV" appeared before the patent number! The reel is going to have a darn good (but gentle!) clean, and if it needs any TLC then Garry will get a call, while I try and decide a fair price for it - I've never seen one come up before (though my memory is poor) so I'm a little in the dark.

Picture will follow when clean.
Jim

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The VFC wrote:Well now - today as I was buying up some reels from a house clearance I came across an Amidex I have only read about: the original 1944 casting reel in black finish (legend tells that this was beacause Youngs were using up old military paint!). I wasn't sure about it - the reel needs a darn good clean and the plate wasn't readable - but as I cleaned the plate when I got home the magic word "PROV" appeared before the patent number! The reel is going to have a darn good (but gentle!) clean, and if it needs any TLC then Garry will get a call, while I try and decide a fair price for it - I've never seen one come up before (though my memory is poor) so I'm a little in the dark.

Picture will follow when clean.
Jim
Wow :o
Can't wait to see it. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Not the prettiest reel I've seen to be honest Snapester - but a little piece of history!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Getting more excited by the minute: its a Type 1! Now if I can get the cover off and it has the hand made parts engraved "1" then I'll probably pass out.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Mmmmm! No numbers inside at all - not what I expected! I've left a message for Elwyn Attwood and hope he'll give me a call back to lend me his professional opinion.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”