More Leney Progeny about than we think ?

This forum is for discussing carp.
Skeff
Crucian Carp

Re: More Leney Progeny about than we think ?

Post by Skeff »

Oh yes! From the Leney chapter in my book....

"Rumour has it that if any carp grew too large for the Nailsworth ponds, they would simply pop up to Woodchester with them and release them into the four lakes there. This may be true but the Surrey Trout Farm record books also hold a note of a formal order from The Nova Piscators Association in February 1962 for 100 seven-inch carp, purchased through the auspices of a local farmer, Eddie Price. This is the same Eddie Price who caught the largest mirror carp in the country at the time at 40lb 8oz from the Stile Pitch at Redmire, in September 1959. This fish grew on to become the Bishop, Chris Yates’ Fifty One pound Eight ounce record.

When I first fished Woodchester, the old boathouse had a list of carp caught from the pools written on one of the walls in pencil. The list stated the captors’ names, the date and the weights of their fish. Sadly, when the National Trust acquired the valley they restored the old boat house and white washed over this unique carp angling record, not realising its significance. Actually, to be fair, it was probably only of interest to a carp fishing anorak like me but it still seemed a shame."
Image Image

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

I'll put a photo up later on of a Woody linear I had in the early 2000's, well a photo of a film photo.

Caractacus Potts
Roach

A digi photo of a film photo. A Woody lake 2 linear, about 2002. A possible Leney progeny ?

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

I'm sure that will be a Leney original. Would have looked great with the 20p the other way up - Her Majesty the Queen with a good Woodchester Linear....!

My pic posted above was on lake 3 about 96/97 ish. The Priory club have stocked with Simmo's now, following a fish kill a while back. Great shame. Still some good originals in there though by all accounts. I'm probably going to wandering the banks with my stalking gear again this summer.....
Best. Skeff

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Wow, what a turn up !! :Happy: :Happy: :Sun: Thanks for that Skeff. I was a member there from '95 through to 2004, a new arrival in the family meant that I didn't have enough time to fish there, so I re-started river fishing.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

We may have met on the bank then..... I thought I recognised you from that photograph! I've fished it on and off from 95 through to the present and love the lakes (especially the little one at the top of the chain which few ever fish). I only fish it for a day each season now. The fish are much, much bigger these days but the atmosphere isn't as intense and it gets much busier now the NT own the valley. When I first fished there I used to have all of the lakes to myself most days, which was lovely.

Caractacus Potts
Roach

I think I was taken as a guest there in the late 80's, applied to join and had to wait until 1995 to get in. A beautiful,quiet, atmospheric place to fish, a REAL carp water.
I'll try and put up a couple more photo's later on.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Skeff wrote:Oh yes! From the Leney chapter in my book....

"Rumour has it that if any carp grew too large for the Nailsworth ponds, they would simply pop up to Woodchester with them and release them into the four lakes there. This may be true but the Surrey Trout Farm record books also hold a note of a formal order from The Nova Piscators Association in February 1962 for 100 seven-inch carp, purchased through the auspices of a local farmer, Eddie Price. This is the same Eddie Price who caught the largest mirror carp in the country at the time at 40lb 8oz from the Stile Pitch at Redmire, in September 1959. This fish grew on to become the Bishop, Chris Yates’ Fifty One pound Eight ounce record.

When I first fished Woodchester, the old boathouse had a list of carp caught from the pools written on one of the walls in pencil. The list stated the captors’ names, the date and the weights of their fish. Sadly, when the National Trust acquired the valley they restored the old boat house and white washed over this unique carp angling record, not realising its significance. Actually, to be fair, it was probably only of interest to a carp fishing anorak like me but it still seemed a shame."
Image Image

What a superb carp :Hat: :Hat: :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Woodchester..Hmmm...
Any interesting ghost stories, chaps, from personal experience?

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Skeff

I'll take you up of the Port/New Redmire thing, will be in touch in due course sir..... :Hat:

A couple of really stunning carp there, and with such history. I love these threads!!! :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”