The Modern Arms Company Ltd - Marco rods

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: The Modern Arms Company Ltd - Marco rods

Post by LuckyLuca »

Ok, so took a punt on a MARCO Elasticane Nymph. I was hoping the seller had mis-labelled it and that it would be suitable for conversion into a carp rod. On reciept it looks like its just a little robust for that so now what shall I do?
3 best options look like:

A: clean it up and resell it? It actually in pretty good condition so wouldnt take much to make clean and pretty.

B: Look to fit a 3rd section to convert it into a heavy feeder rod, Its too heavy to hold for extended periods so would need to be an in the rests job.

C: Convert it into a landing net handle? This is my favourite at the moment, but quite how achievable this is i'm not sure?

A few pics

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

My beloved Peter Stone U/L leger rod [fibreglass] is a Marco rod. Same transfer.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Luckyluca wrote:Ok, so took a punt on a MARCO Elasticane Nymph. I was hoping the seller had mis-labelled it and that it would be suitable for conversion into a carp rod. On reciept it looks like its just a little robust for that so now what shall I do?
Blimey, if that's a "Nymph", Mavis Cruet's a fairy! :sarcasm:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I've had a bit of a shopping spree lately, and one of my purchases was a "Test". I'm very pleased with it, it has already expressed my opinion quite firmly-yet-persuasively to a scraper "double" with no creaking or cracking. The carp seemed to find its argument cogent.
The low rings that Nobby commented on elsewhere seem to be set up for a 'pin with "off the top" line, and I've duly re-loaded one. Not a rod to trot with for long, but few -if any- of the all-built cane float rods were. If it'll be in rests most of the time, and if you can cope with winding "backwards", the Test seems as good as any.

P.S. I also have a Marco Marauder 16' glass beast somewhere, bought in the '70s as a "ring-up" pole substitute for the overshotted float method. I'll try to post a piccy at some point, for comedy value as much as archival interest... did Marco perceive their niche as being rods for weight-lifters?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Have only just finished restoring my 11' Test and christened it last night with a 1lb perch. The rod is a bit heavy but one can sense its power, and I now plan to use it with a pin for barbel. Until I purchase a vintage pin I've coupled it with a Marco Cortesi.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It will feel exactly the right weight if a barbel or carp comes along!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

davyr wrote:
Luckyluca wrote:Ok, so took a punt on a MARCO Elasticane Nymph. I was hoping the seller had mis-labelled it and that it would be suitable for conversion into a carp rod. On reciept it looks like its just a little robust for that so now what shall I do?
Blimey, if that's a "Nymph", Mavis Cruet's a fairy! :sarcasm:
My thoughts exactly! Could cast a 2lbs Nymph!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

My dad has just phoned me from an antique shop. He was asking about a 3 piece split cane rod. About 10/11ft. It has the Elasticane logo and what appears to be "Ledger" in the usual black ink. Perfectly straight with an agate tip ring and folding and locking Spey style butt ring. At £35 he didn't need much persuading.

Anyone know anything about this rod
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I think I might have an Elasicane ledger rod in the post!! Anything like this??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CANE-CA ... true&rt=nc
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

No idea, I'm only going on the description over the phone. I'll get a good look at it when I come up for the AGM
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”