Homemade

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Homemade

Post by Nobby »

Wow, that's a big old net. Lovely!

Have you made a will yet, Snape?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:Wow, that's a big old net. Lovely!

Have you made a will yet, Snape?
It is big but I have managed to have it filled on three occasions by barbel :D
I think my 12 year old has his eye on my Barder stuff....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have just been out to check on my nets and bank sticks. It would appear that the thread on this is the same.
Does anyone know what this thread is, metric, BSF, UNF and what size?

Obviously when attempting to build my own, I would like to make it compatible with other nets, in case I require
replacements or want to use other heads with it. It would also help in being able to use some of the net handle
threads I already have, combined with a bolt of the correct thread.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

3/8 BSF. Not always easy to find. Consider canibalising rod rest stems and heads which are also 3/8 BSF.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks. I have a local fastening company who supply nuts, bolts, threaded bar etc. in various material including stainless. I'm hoping they will have them in brass but if not I will go with stainless.

I am collecting parts gradually. I have some 1" hardwood for the spreader, some 2mm aluminium plate (left over from a car restoration) and a fairly solid female brass fitting for the top of the handle.

Net handle and hoop/arm material to go (still to decide on the design - Crabtree/Walker)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Weyfarer wrote:3/8 BSF. Not always easy to find. Consider canibalising rod rest stems and heads which are also 3/8 BSF.
3/8 20 BSF to be exact (20 turns per inch)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This feller sells all the studs, set screws and nuts you'll ever need:

http://www.polished-stainless.com

Most useful for extending rod butts and making landing nets handles and bank sticks.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks. Things seem to be coming together

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Well basic work has started. I have started with the handle as it was the easiest part.

The first section is the butt section of an Elasticane Test. The rod had no eyes, no top joint and the middle joint has come unglued. I therefore decided to use the butt section, minus the real seat, as it is a particularly heavy gauge. This section could be used again as I have retained the ferrule.

The top section is a little more tricky. It is the butt section of an unknown rod. It came as part of a jumble of old rods, and was beyond reasonable repair (no middle or top joints and the butt itself had a set in it). I have cut it down to give an overall handle length of 6 feet. I did try it at longer than this but the flex was more than I wanted. It still has some flex, but even this should be reduced with some whipping. This top part is fitted to the rod with a ferrule. The top threaded part, is part of an old extending bank stick (which no longer extends). Plenty of work still to do.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”