Historical Floats..............

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Historical Floats..............

Post by Nobby »

How amazing....a locking float from so long ago.

Just goes to prove what the old tackle shop owner said to me years ago....." There are no new ideas in angling".

I try to make the odd float that would look 'right' with very old rods and reels so it's a great help to see such old tackle from time to time.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

What a lovely set of legs, 1800's?

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Mike Wilson wrote:The second picture that Stu took shows a 'Tay's' wire float. Catalogue No 3201s Allcocks 1915.
I assume it gets its name from the river and further assume it must be a slider. With more than 50 years of angling and a pretty extensive library of books I've never found it mentioned anywhere or how one uses it. Any of you guys know?
By the way there is one on ebay at present for a mere £75. Mine cost pennies and knowledge.

Mike
It is in my fascimile copy of the Allcock's catalogue, circa 1930. It is described as being ideal for pike and sea fishing (no mention of salmon, so perhaps it was named after a person, not the river?) and locks onto the line due to the shape of the middle eye. It moves down the line on contact with the rod tip.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for that GOS. Must find myself a 30's Allcocks catalogue.

Nobby - At Sandown [Carp Society Show] last Sunday I overheard someone telling how a well known tackle company had invented the quick release leads [so making them richer!]. It wasn't my place to tell them that Hardy's were selling 2 versions of 'release' leads prior to the 1930's.
As you say there is little that is new in angling.

Mike

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Mike Wilson wrote:It wasn't my place to tell them that Hardy's were selling 2 versions of 'release' leads prior to the 1930's.
I'm guessing they were intended for salmon fishing on rocky rivers, when there's a good chance of a lead getting jammed between rocks. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Spot on Davyr

Mike

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Tadpole , legs , circa 1914 ! good legs for marching .

Sweetcorn Kid , if you were the fella with the camera clicking away then we were just feet away . I went outside to watch the Red Kites as everyone was saying how low they were flying right above the garden . The chap with the floats was chatting away to me for a minute or two and then I think it was your good self that appeared to take some photos . The floats caused a bit of a stir if I remember , some nice early ones . This was the day of the perch book launch .

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

In which case unfortunately I missed you and, as you say, we were only feet away!
But I have no doubt our paths will cross again and I can meet you properly. Perhaps you'd like to come along on one of our excursions? It would be a pleasure if you could join us one weekend. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

When time permits , I may well take you up on your kind offer.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Welcome Ardencrest.

Fascinating, do you have any other info about your great-grandfather and his works?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”