Help needed

This forum is for discussing roach.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Help needed

Post by Kingfisher »

It's surprising but Roach will grow big in small waters. I was fishing a small irrigation pond back in 2000 that had been stocked with roach and carp in the 70's, using bread flake as a hook bait and feeding bread mash right under my feet next to a small jut of reed, i was catching roach after roach all about 5oz in size when all of a sudden I thought i'd hooked a carp. I could tell by the fight that it wasn't a carp and this is what was landed.

It's not a brilliant picture because I only had my phone but the box is 29cm long. I caught that roach followed by an almost identical fish, both over 2lb from this pool.

You should be able to tell from the photo how big it is, I'm at the far end but there was some really nice roach in there.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Kingfisher wrote:It's surprising but Roach will grow big in small waters. I was fishing a small irrigation pond back in 2000 that had been stocked with roach and carp in the 70's, using bread flake as a hook bait and feeding bread mash right under my feet next to a small jut of reed, i was catching roach after roach all about 5oz in size when all of a sudden I thought i'd hooked a carp. I could tell by the fight that it wasn't a carp and this is what was landed.

It's not a brilliant picture because I only had my phone but the box is 29cm long. I caught that roach followed by an almost identical fish, both over 2lb from this pool.

You should be able to tell from the photo how big it is, I'm at the far end but there was some really nice roach in there.
If the roach is about 29cm - the length of the box? - then it's about a pound but still a nice fish. I've often fished similar small ponds where the average roach is small, say an ounce or two, then one day up pops one of a pound plus. It's to do with roach over a certain size being able to switch to a better diet like tiny pea snails but it doesn't happen below a critical size and the majority don't get big enough to switch.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

The length of the box is 30cm and has a ruler in the tray. I didn't really care about the size of the roach hence the fact it wasn't weighed but they were two magnificent fish from such a small pond. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”