Hardy LRH No 2 Spinning Rod 9' 6"

The Hardy Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Hardy LRH No 2 Spinning Rod 9' 6"

Post by Wallys-Cast »

MD,
I use a Hardy No1 for almost all of my carp fishing, it is a beautiful actioned rod and a bit more powerful than a B James MK1V especially the later doughnut handled versions and I don't think the fact it is 6 inches shorter makes any real difference during use.
I bought a LRH No2 thinking it would be a great stepped up carp rod but to be honest they really are too powerful unless you are likely to encounter 30lb fish on a regular basis or are planning a trip to France.
I think they are better suited to Pike fishing or big Salmon which was their intended use.

Wal.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Superb feedback thanks very much MD, Wal & Churchill. I was keen to use 10lb line to fish the Teme for barbel it sounds as if the No 2 is up to it. Though I won't be using it in the current flood conditions.

Churchill thanks for including the page from the Hardy's catalogue most helpful :Hat:

Cheers all

Atb

Les
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Nobby wrote:It's a spinning rod, I believe so wouldn't have had a line-rating I think. It also pre-dates us using the AFTMA ratings too, I think.
The Sealey Salmex is a spinning rod and has a line rating written on it (11lb).
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Any advice very welcome chap's, I've seen one of these for sale, no stopper or white button or original bag, but its straight and in pretty good condition, it measures 9'7'' not 9'6'' the top being 1'' shorter than the butt, from Marks 'year no' it seems to be 1950. Realise prices are dodgy to judge but what would be a fair realistic price to offer ?

Tight lines
Dave

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It depends very much on condition, but one that looked pretty fair just fetched £67 on eBay, which is pretty low. Normally I'd expect them to fetch £90 to £120, and a good deal more for a spotless example with ferrule stopper, reel clamp spanner and original bag.

Strangely, it doesn't appear here, but it may be of some guidance:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Fishing-/1492 ... =1&_ipg=50

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Many thanks Nobby for the advice, see what you mean looking at the Ebay examples, seem's there are plenty to choose from, will make an offer accordingly.

Tight lines
Dave

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sorry, I didn't make it clear....those are all finished auctions, or as eBay calls them 'completed listings'.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Nobby,

The LRH 2 was part of a single lot of 4 items at a low key general auction, along with this rod was a Mitchell 206s in vgc, a Shakespear Norris 3.5'' fly reel (2522) again vgc made in Japan its very well engineered and is dark green with a gold spool, its very nice to the eye, it appears to be more steel than alloy as its a tad heavy, its also loaded with a decent mid green fly line. And the cream on the cake was a Hardy JJ Triumph 8'6'' 6wt Palonka in vgc but like the LRH no stoppers or Hardy Bag.

The auction guide price was £50 to £80, there was just me and one more chap bidding, I thought for a moment it was all mine for £35 ! however the other bloke came in and I won this morning at a cost of £177 including buyers commission etc. I'm looking forward to using the LRH and have read with interest the opinions /advice on line strength t/c etc, I intend to try it with a '300' and 10 or 12lb line, floatfishing a small.medium deadbait for Pike, the fly rod will get well used on my local small streams. The guy who was bidding against me said that he loved cane and like me would have bought for use.
Tight lines
Dave

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I got my second LRH no2 on eBay for £75 three weeks ago. It is in very good condition, with original bag, spanner and a battered old brown card label on said bag. No idea how that survived all these years. Mine was made in 1959. They aren't fetching that much any more, but I do like my pair.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Jaybee1954

Post by Jaybee1954 »

I have an LRH which with the I/ D of E22597 makes it 1940....I think

Does anybody have any experience of the pin-lock ferrules? Mine is far too tight and I am having trouble loosening it. If I were to fish with it I would have to pack up an hour early to give me time to dismantle the rod. Any ideas on how to loosen it?

Jay

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”