Hats

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Hats

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I found another one with a bit of a story to it...
I was in the unfortunate position of being in the wrong place at the wrong time several years ago and was attacked by 4 blokes whilst on the bank. 2 had metal landing net handles - those old green Efgeeco (Frank Goddard and Co) extending ones and 2 had pool cues.
I was made a right mess of. My eyelid had to be stitched back and from the back of my head all the way down to the back of my knees was total bruising despite thick one piece suit covered with a Barbour and Bob Church waxed padded bib and brace.
The last few blows were the pool cue broken over my head and I was left.
Really thought I was going to die during that beating and was left with concussion for a week.
Anyway, that is just a little background as to why this hat was sent to me. The waxed Bib and Brace had only just been released and it was cut up during the beating. I sent it back to Bob Church to see if any repair could be done and explained what had happened - telling him my injured eye was giving me a lot of grief with the cold getting to it whilst outside.
Suffice to say, along with my repaired bin and brace I was also sent a waxed balaclava with one eye and a big Polystyrene ball sewn in to take the place of my injured eye LOL!
First fish after my beating I had to pop the hat on!
Hey ho - who said fishing was always a gentle relaxed pastime?
Sorry about the picture quality it was taken with a print film photographing my projector screen.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Bloody hell Shaun, that's shocking mate!!! :shocked:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I thought it fitted quite well - the colour possibly isn't worn looking enough though! :sarcasm:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

:laugh: Not that you silly sod. The attack, horrible to hear such things happened. Let's hope it's a thing of the past.

The hat looks cool, and the pike is a whacker!!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I had some lovely pike there up to 29.08 and none of them looked like they had been caught before. A wild old place that was left for nature to get on with things and nature did.

The sad thing is my eyes were full of blood from the first blow (from behind) that I only really saw feet as I was trying to protect my head. Haven't a clue what any of them looked like so wouldn't know if I ever bumped into either of them again.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

I bet it put you off angling at night for a while! Are you completely over it?
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

It was difficult for a while but onwards and upwards. It was 25 plus years ago. Just another one of the stories to be told properly in full one day rather than rushed out on a forum page.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Glad you have retained your sense of humour Shaun, I'm sure there is quite a story to tell - maybe over a few beers in the Red Lion next season?

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Lechmere wrote:Glad you have retained your sense of humour Shaun, I'm sure there is quite a story to tell - maybe over a few beers in the Red Lion next season?
Now that would be an event I'd travel for......just so long as you show me all your favourite fishing spots too!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I'm sure I'll be back to the Red Lion, really enjoyed my visit earlier this year and was good to meet up over the odd glass or several 'Lechmere' (wish people used their proper names :-)) wasn't until I saw your picture that I realised who you were.

Will let you know when I get something booked. I have the odd tale or two...

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”