Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Rutland Rod »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:53 am I read the words and see the pictures, but I still struggle to come to terms with what it means! As someone that has not the slightest gift for making or repairing anything, I marvel at what my friend Watermole + has achieved. I am sure that I am not alone in feeling that we are seeing a rare talent in action!
Your not alone LD, when I look at my simple speedia and Trudex I have a job understanding how they are even put together, putting new line on is a hard fiddly task for me !
Dave

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Rutland Rod wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:53 am I read the words and see the pictures, but I still struggle to come to terms with what it means! As someone that has not the slightest gift for making or repairing anything, I marvel at what my friend Watermole + has achieved. I am sure that I am not alone in feeling that we are seeing a rare talent in action!
Your not alone LD, when I look at my simple speedia and Trudex I have a job understanding how they are even put together, putting new line on is a hard fiddly task for me !
Dave
Dave, you have just made me feel better! I can manage to put new line on, with my wife holding the new spool of line and allowing it to rotate under a little tension, while I wind it onto the reel of choice, it works a treat! :Hat:

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Watermole+,
Having seen a reel seat fitted to a friends reel, I wondered how you achieved this and being a C.Eng, was going to ask how you had achieved this by hand/lathe - not believing it was not made by CNC. Having read through this posting, today, for the first time - I see how - I am envious of the skills and lateral thinking you employ to achieve the required outcomes. You are an inspiration for us all, to continually seek perfection in whatever we do. Cannot wait to see the finished product and further steps along the way.

Might I ask - have all the reels been allocated.

Best regards and happy turning.
PS - Engineering apprenticeship 1962-1966 - Myford and Capstans were the stock in our workshops. Remember 1 old guy used to sit on a deck chair working his Capstan, often getting the final cut correct by tapping his pipe on the cutting slide to cut that .0005" cut without touching the adjusting wheels.

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I live only a short distance from Watermole so occasionally pop into his workshop. Yesterday I called in after work to see the progression of this project the attention to detail in the handcrafted parts and the fine tolerances he works to will I'm sure to leave the owners of these centrepins very pleased. Not being an engineer myself I always walk away having learned something new.

Hopefully, I can watch and maybe be allowed to record the final assembly in the future.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Leigh wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 am I live only a short distance from Watermole so occasionally pop into his workshop. Yesterday I called in after work to see the progression of this project the attention to detail in the handcrafted parts and the fine tolerances he works to will I'm sure to leave the owners of these centrepins very pleased. Not being an engineer myself I always walk away having learned something new.

Hopefully, I can watch and maybe be allowed to record the final assembly in the future.
I agree with you Leigh, I always leave Watermole+ shaking my head at how much skill and vision he has developed and used when creating the wonderful range of items that have left his workshop. You are a lucky man living close, If I lived nearer I could happily watch him work for hours, it is so interesting!

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

..Just a quick update to let you know that things are still happening..

In between jobs, I have been making some of the many smaller detail parts necessary..unfortunately, did not take too many pictures along the way!

The major detail was making the locking-and friction forks that fit into the hub. I made about twenty sets but scrapped a few; however, I ended up with enough for all the reels to be made.

One of the very small parts is the little friction adjuster nut. These were made by cut-knurling a length of bar which was then turned, drilled and tapped. We ended up with these. They measure 1/4" diameter across the knurled, outside edge.

I blacked these and then made some of the nickel-silver springs.
Here is one fitted to our 'trial' model..

This is the state of play so far with a finished pair of forks in place..It's starting to look like an Aerial now!

The next job is to start making the all-important spindles...I may be some time... :Chuckle:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Just sublime....I'm beginning to want one.....

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Wow, superb craftsmanship and skill. A joy to look at, Leszek!
Russ

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another wonderful instalment. It's becoming almost mass production. thanks Leszek.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Watermole+ wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:30 pm ..Just a quick update to let you know that things are still happening..

In between jobs, I have been making some of the many smaller detail parts necessary..unfortunately, did not take too many pictures along the way!

The major detail was making the locking-and friction forks that fit into the hub. I made about twenty sets but scrapped a few; however, I ended up with enough for all the reels to be made.

One of the very small parts is the little friction adjuster nut. These were made by cut-knurling a length of bar which was then turned, drilled and tapped. We ended up with these. They measure 1/4" diameter across the knurled, outside edge.

I blacked these and then made some of the nickel-silver springs.
Here is one fitted to our 'trial' model..

This is the state of play so far with a finished pair of forks in place..It's starting to look like an Aerial now!

The next job is to start making the all-important spindles...I may be some time... :Chuckle:

wm+
Wonderful work as usual Leszek, but I count SIXTEEN parts so sixteen reels to be made, I thought that you were supposed to be taking things easier! :hairpull:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”