ABU 444A Did I do well?

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: ABU 444A Did I do well?

Post by BeechmereLake »

Your reel would be March 1966 and a first production run of that model, oddly enough the paperwork that comes with the reels is normally a year in advance so if you have any paperwork for the reel it would have a 1965 date on it. When I did the ABU 505 GOLDEN JUBILEE BOOK it was something we learned from buying several reels, you learn so much more from the paperwork and boxes than you do the reels, first run ABU 505's had no serial numbers on the side plates and several different parts from the third version which actually came with a serial number, the paperwork dated 1961 but the reel itself was produced in 1962, it was Lennart Borgstrom who confirmed this for us and a copy of the book was sent to him for his help, that book now should be living in the ABU museum hopefully.
Just one item to note is the ABU 444 was the first spinning reel made back in 1956 so dont confuse the two models.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Kingfisher wrote:
BeechmereLake wrote:Yes there is, what is your number?
In the 1950's the initial numbering was a little bit of a guess as to how it worked but many collectors esp of the ambassadeur had their theory's, that was until 1963 when things became a lot clearer.
If I take for example an ABU 505 for example the first dated reels started in 1964 even though they came out in 1962, so a number like 030400 would mean the 03 = March, 04 would = 1964, and 00 would = the first production run of this model.
This went on until 1971 when Abu changed the dating system stamped on the reels, you would now look at a number for example 710801 and this would mean
71 = year of manufacture 08 would = the month of August and 01 would = the reel has become a variation of the 1st model, the initial model having 00 on the end of its serial number.

Hope this helps date your reel
Thanks ever so much Beechmerelake.

Mine is the Svangsta version and the number is 110900, so I'm thinking that's November=11 09=1969 ? and it's the first

production run?

Thanks BL Sir for the help dating the reel. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

No problem, anytime :Hat:

"BB"

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

many thanks Sir
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I think you did well,
i use the 444 model from 1952 since few years.
This is a good reel for general fishing: spinning for Pike,ledgering for Barbel,Margintippin for Carp...
I donot know the exactly differents between 444 and 444a but I thinks its only design

Much luck with this reel

Greetings

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Tinca Tinca, I think the 444 has much workings on the side plate, the name ABU 444 SVANGSTA SWEDEN was cast into the side plate, on the 444A the side plate had a badge with the reel model on it, the drag knob on the back of the reel was made from aluminium and had a knurled finish and was black and cream on the rotor cup, the 444A had the black plastic drag knob with white numbers 0 to 9 on it for the drag setting and was green and cream, think everything else was the same or maybe the A/R lever was changed from bottle shape to round knurled button. :Hat:
Here is my one and only 444A

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I must admit to forgetting I had a first version 444 and the color is not black and cream its this sort of silver/sky blue color, there is also different wording on the side plate.

"BB"

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Exactly the reel I spoke of.Does you reel have the balance weight in the cup,or not?
My has not and its the first typeof this reel (Model 1952).

Yours is in much better condition than mine...

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I think this type is to the quality standard of Record Switzerland.
I opened a 333 and a 333a today and in the A modell are plasticparts that are not in the first modell.
The gear of the A is of a white cast material(Zinc???) the gear of the first type is brass.

Do you know if the A model was cheaper than the other?

Greetings

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Here is the picture I just made of the inside of the rotor cup. I am not sure of the prices of the reels from new but I would think with some 14 years between them the 444A would be more expensive to buy

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”