Sealey Supreme: eBay find - a little curious about something

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: Sealey Supreme: eBay find - a little curious about somet

Post by Reedling »

I think Sealey got it right when they called the rod 'Supreme', take a look at my link and the curve of that rod with a fish on. :Thumb: Reedling.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Just measured mine and its exactly 11ft. One node on the butt and four on the middle.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Spanish reed tends to have swellings and an uneven taper as well as a lot of 'dirty' marks in it. It's actually from India originally, not Spain :Chuckle:
It seems it has spread around the World due to Spanish colonialism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundo_donax

MDs rod does look like reed, but Reedlings does not....so I'm not sure now :Brickwall:

It may be that when MD's rod was restored the restorer removed the enamel from the cane and this left it looking like reed, but the middle section does seem to have some swellings about it...... ???

Just for interest here's the Match Rod with its warning sticker and you can see a swollen node under that whipping:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Strange this. I've got the 12 footer which is stripped down waiting restoration. Mine is definitely whole cane butt with a whole cane middle with about 10 inches of split cane spliced in and a "twin taper" split cane tip. MD's rod does look like a spanish reed butt and middle, so I do wonder if it is a Match Rod which has been wringly labelled.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Here is a photo of the node on the butt section of mine

"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

SeanM wrote:Strange this. I've got the 12 footer which is stripped down waiting restoration. Mine is definitely whole cane butt with a whole cane middle with about 10 inches of split cane spliced in and a "twin taper" split cane tip. MD's rod does look like a spanish reed butt and middle, so I do wonder if it is a Match Rod which has been wringly labelled.
How strange that your Supremes middle section has a spliced in split cane section whilst mine is whole. I have Just measured that section of mine and it is also apprx 10 inches excluding ferrule so they are both made to the same configuration by the looks of things.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Interesting that there was obviously some development to the rod over the years. I wonder which version is the earlier?
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

It's all a puzzle to me. We need a some sales brochures.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Just collected a Supreme which I got for £15 on Ebay(collection only).It came with an original bag and the original alloy ferrule stoppers.All the rings(except the butt and tip) need replacing as they are rusty.The tip is not short and the format of the rod is a cane butt section,cane middle section with a tapered insert and a split cane tip section.Can anyone suggest a suitable source for the blue thread used in the whippings?As someone said,perhaps to match the blue reel bands.Apart from the high bells everything else is in good order.
Mark Davies

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

All I can tell you is that the 'Supreme' was listed in a leaflet i have for the 1958 season ... in 11ft/12ft/13ft versions ... described as "Price the same but improved finish making this rod the best quality match rod on the market."

No pictures, sadly.

It had vanished from the catalogue by 1964.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”