which Abu 506 is better ?

The ABU Reels forum.
JimmyR
Perch

Re: which Abu 506 is better ?

Post by JimmyR »

I would go for the Vintage 506, i have two and i now also have 4x 501's, and a 505 i favor the 501 which has its clutch on the Backwind, it is simple yet effective, last week whilst fishing for silver fish with 3lb line and a sixteen hook i manged to get a 10.5lb Pike in using the 501 which was quite a long battle as the fish kept going to ground in the bottom weed, but played on the Backwind i got it in and it was released none the worse for ware, and on such tackle i feel i would have lost the fight on the 506.
But out of the two you mention yes i would go for the Original 506, so long as it is working properly.

Little bit of advise on setting the handle in relation to where the spool is (inside the bell or back out of it)
Remove the cowl just twist to the left and it will come off, now you will notice the Spool and line, turn the handle until the spool is backed out of the Bell, this way the angle of line release is correct, when it is inside the bell there is to much of an angle for the line to release smoothly and will hinder a nice cast.
Ok now look at where the handle is, if it is towards the twelve oclock remove it (just the Handle) and move so that it is facing down, and replace the large screw/clutch screw that holds the handle on, for some reason it is easier to remember to point the handle down when casting, and this is roughly where it ends up anyway, so if it is down and the spool is inside the bell housing the gentle under harm cast will be hindered.
Hope you can understand what i am trying to say here lol :fishing1:

Jim
Last edited by JimmyR on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The brotherhood of the angle.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

BeechmereLake wrote:Robbi, I think the reel to consider first off is the one from Macko, its a great offer and better than buyer beware rubbish that can be bought on eBay, most of the stuff comes from car boots or auction houses and never sees a change of grease or a drop of oil, trust me I know, I have had over 40 of them. :Scared:
I have sent Macko a PM regarding these reels, I'm awaiting his response :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Macko wrote:We'll Robbie, if you decide to go for a 506 I have 2 virtually mint reels, nice and tight when the handle's turned and the anti- reverse pawl still intact, I might consider parting with one, both used no more than
5/ 6 times with spare spool.

ATB Macko
Did you get my PM Sir ?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Robbi wrote:
Macko wrote:We'll Robbie, if you decide to go for a 506 I have 2 virtually mint reels, nice and tight when the handle's turned and the anti- reverse pawl still intact, I might consider parting with one, both used no more than
5/ 6 times with spare spool.

ATB Macko
Did you get my PM Sir ?
Robbi, if you can persuade Macko to reply and sell you one of his, I would say that you can get no better than that as an offer. Fantastic reels if used for light line trotting in a breeze or wind, but as before, don't overfill with line - just 50-60 yards is plenty - or less if you are on a little stream.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

I'm rather keen to talk to the afore mentioned gentleman :)

Return to “ABU Reels”