E.bay prices - Wizard & Lucky Strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
PDuffield
Grayling

Re: E.bay prices - Wizard & Lucky Strike

Post by PDuffield »

Actually, I may have to eat my words and apologise for any confusion caused. I own two Wizards and two Hardy Wallis Avons. This is the first time I've really looked at them closely together, and allowing for the different handle styles and hardware, as the picture attached shows, the handles on both the Wallis Avons are the same length as my early Gold label Wizard, and actually slightly shorter than my later green label wizard.

I'd always assumed the Hardy had a longer handle because it looked like it did, and the point of balance is definitely nearer the handle. It seems the balance issue is because the Hardy is a lighter rod, nothing to do with the length of the handle at all. :hide:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think you can get the reel further forward on the Hardys...and that effectively gives you a little more handle under your elbow.

I know which rod I prefer but the price has beaten me so far.

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

It seems I spoke too soon about Chapman 500s being a realistically priced rod for anyone wanting their first taste of split cane. Just spotted one on ebay for a staggering £299! Perhaps Mr. Yates used one after all

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that rod has been listed for some time....without any takers.

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

I'm not surprised at that price. I picked up one that needed nothing doing to it apart from scrubbing up the cork butt for £68 last year.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

pduffield wrote:Actually, I may have to eat my words and apologise for any confusion caused. I own two Wizards and two Hardy Wallis Avons. This is the first time I've really looked at them closely together, and allowing for the different handle styles and hardware, as the picture attached shows, the handles on both the Wallis Avons are the same length as my early Gold label Wizard, and actually slightly shorter than my later green label wizard.

I'd always assumed the Hardy had a longer handle because it looked like it did, and the point of balance is definitely nearer the handle. It seems the balance issue is because the Hardy is a lighter rod, nothing to do with the length of the handle at all. :hide:
Fantastic batch of Rods there Paul, you seem to be abit of a Wizard Wizard, what kind of fishing do you use them for?

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Fantastic batch of Rods there Paul, you seem to be abit of a Wizard Wizard, what kind of fishing do you use them for?
I use the Wizards, mostly the gold label one, for Tench and the Wallis Avons for trotting. You can't see it from the photo, but one of the Wallis Avons is 10ft instead of the usual 11ft as it came to me damaged and I remodelled it to a 10ft rod which works really well trotting small rivers for average size chub.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

My new Wizard also weighs in at @ 13oz. Very pleased with it.

It's a little more delicate than The Lancer & the top section is lighter & slightly slimmer.

I'm estimating @ 4lb hooklengths for the Wizard [& 5/6lbs for the Lancer].

Does that sound about right, Wizard users? I'd be grateful for any advice.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I use 4lb on mine. Balances up nicely.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

CraigM wrote:My new Wizard also weighs in at @ 13oz. Very pleased with it.

It's a little more delicate than The Lancer & the top section is lighter & slightly slimmer.

I'm estimating @ 4lb hooklengths for the Wizard [& 5/6lbs for the Lancer].

Does that sound about right, Wizard users? I'd be grateful for any advice.
I've gone as light as 1lb and landed good chub, and as high as 10lb when piking. I suppose the fair working range is 3-6lb, which makes it ideal for all small and middlewight species except where local conditions dictate the use of heavier tackle.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”