The Roach

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: The Roach

Post by MGs »

Those side mounted rings are very tricky. Trying to get the feet flat on the rod and whipping takes ages. I have the butt ring on, but it took an hour
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Oh well, it was only a matter of time. My Gudebrod black has run out and the Piper's has yet to arrive. The butt section has the first coat of varnish drying. The logo was virtually complete. There was enough of the lettering left to identify the rod, so I took the liberty of completing the missing bits (it needed a 0.05 drawing pen).
I have managed (hopefully) to repair the bent and slightly broken tip ring (a standard Sealey with the white ceramic insert). I also got it and the top two rings on before the thread ran out. Two more rings to do when the silk turns up. More pictures to follow when it gets light.

It is never going to be perfect but the water staining is less evident now that it has been cleaned up a bit

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

OK, here goes, a few pictures of work in progress. Only a couple of coats of varnish on the butt so far, some way to go.
Before
And after, awaiting varnish
Last edited by MGs on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent, Sir. Looking forward to seeing the next stage.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

A lot of work, but I'm sure you'll be rewarded in the end!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

This rod seems determined to cause me as much grief as possible. I was just about to put the 3rd coat of varnish on the butt section when I noticed something odd with the previous one. A section of the rod (about a foot in total) running down from the butt ring whipping, looked as if it had chicken pox. Whether is was some contamination on the blank or something else, I don't know. Luckily, I managed to remove it without damaging the remaining sound stuff. The subsequent coat seems to be blending in OK, but that section is going to need two more coats, to catch up with the rest.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nearly there. The Piper's silk arrived yesterday afternoon, so the last two rings are now on the rod. Just waiting for the varnish to dry on the tip section before posting some pictures. 3 coats on so far

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Keep going, Sir !!! :Thumb:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

10/10 for determination MGs, its looking really good. :clap: :clap:

Wal.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Finally, after much work with the heat gun and glue the rod is finished. By no means perfect, the black staining remains but is mostly covered by the ring whipping. Considering the delaminations, broken ferrule, bent and twisted cane, I'm pretty happy with the results. Another rod rescued from the scrap heap and all for about £35. It just shows you can still obtain reasonable cane for sensible money. Providing AC doesn't snap it up first :eyebrow:

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”