J.S.Sharpe Carp

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: J.S.Sharpe Carp

Post by Bob Brookes »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Those rings are standard on many of Sharpes spinning and Carp rods of the era, sometimes hard chromed and sometimes satin stainless. They also sometimes come with the name Diamite stamped in them too. Top quality rings which will take a lot of use and abuse..

Wal.
Thanks Wal, that is all good information that is helping to build a picture.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Bob Brookes wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:Those rings are standard on many of Sharpes spinning and Carp rods of the era, sometimes hard chromed and sometimes satin stainless. They also sometimes come with the name Diamite stamped in them too. Top quality rings which will take a lot of use and abuse..

Wal.
Thanks Wal, that is all good information that is helping to build a picture.
Bob
Beresford/Wally,
The seller of the rod, Davis of Christchurch ex-proprietor, Graham Pepler, was going from memory rather than written reference. He is having a look to see if he has any leaflets or a catalogue and will copy me if he finds something.

I have virtually full range of Tom Watson (Nottingham) catalogues and, up to 1967, they sold the Sharpes Carp and Avon (called the Avon Imp!). The specification was for Aqualites fitted to butt and tip. After that date they ceased selling the Sharpes Carp and Avon, as the cane range reduced in favour of more glass rods. They continued to sell Sharpes cane salmon spinning rods. The description of the rings on those sounds very much like the ones fitted to my rod.

I am therefore comfortable that this is one of the last of the Sharpes Impregnated Carp rods to be made in Aberdeen. I shall continue to try and get more information which I will share if any is forthcoming.

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Sometime ago there was Sharpes Carp rod listed for sale with a 1970 date which is why I think they still might have made them to order if requested. Without knowing the taper I've always suspected that Sharpes arrived at their Carp not by reproducing Walker's design but from their salmon rods. Only a pet theory of mine. The example I have definitely has a bit more power in the lower section than the 1990's built MkIV I own which is to Walker's taper. However, the Sharpes is lighter in the tip – so nicely balanced in the hand. I'm not convinced it has the hinge in the taper.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

This taken from a 1969 catalogue suggests the butt and tip rings on the Carp and Avon rods were lined, however the Spinning rods of the day were fitted with those hardened steel rings. I think this suggests the rod you have will almost certainly be a later version.

Interesting to see the big price difference between the Carp and Avon rods, I really cant see why they weren't the same price..

Wal

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Thanks to the both of you.
I think we are all of the opinion that the rod is spot on correct, and from 1970 onwards.
Bob

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Life is just full of coincidences isn't it? I'm just reading through a generous gift of a load of old angling magazines.

June 1963, " Fishing" magazine...' a new name in bottom rods'

Sharpes impregnated Carp and Avon rods...both the same length and tapers. but the Carp Impregnated has a 26 inch handle ( not a 24) and doubly reinforced ferrules.

Both rods are priced at ten Guineas.

Unless they've written that badly and I have misunderstood, the cane blanks for both rods are the same :shocked:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Nobby wrote:Life is just full of coincidences isn't it? I'm just reading through a generous gift of a load of old angling magazines.

June 1963, " Fishing" magazine...' a new name in bottom rods'

Sharpes impregnated Carp and Avon rods...both the same length and tapers. but the Carp Impregnated has a 26 inch handle ( not a 24) and doubly reinforced ferrules.

Both rods are priced at ten Guineas.

Unless they've written that badly and I have misunderstood, the cane blanks for both rods are the same :shocked:
I think that is poorly written and misleading. I would suggest that the rate of taper is the same but the 'diameters' (across flats) are different, if you understand my meaning.
Bob

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The tapers aren't the same – I'm 100% certain in that.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, apart form Chapman's 500 it was usual to have the same taper in both Mark IV and Mark IV Avon rods, just in different sizes........

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

If I can find my vernier calliper I will measure my pair.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”