Pipes

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Badger1
Roach

Re: Pipes

Post by Badger1 »

I smoke a Falcon normally with dental piece for when a fish bites, any old stuff usually in it :-). But a whiskey/rum/peach/vanilla any favoured one is usually fine. Old-man smokes St Burno like it's going out of fashion....not sure it ever was in fashion :-)

Hardy's Anglers pipe below:

Waterweed

Post by Waterweed »

johnclyde wrote:Go on waterweed, recommend a nice mellow blend for me to try. I've only gone for knock-yr-socks off english blends, which I love.

Nice old briar pipe there Hermit. What is it, a barling? I need to get myself one of those sturdy falcons.
Hello John, My apologies for my delayed reply but I've been rather busy at the carp lake that I manage. One of my favourite tobaccos is Kendal Gawith and Hoggarths 'Coffee Caramel'. A smooth, mellow, easy on the mouth and delightful Black Cavendish. I can puff away on this one all day if I'm not careful. Give it a whirl!

Churchyard Yew

Post by Churchyard Yew »

Coming into this thread a little late, however.......

BB smoked Cherry wood briars filled with Condor. I haven't seen these pipes around for quite a while, the traditional tobacconists no longer exist on the high street like they used to. I have tried these very rustic looking pipes and they smoked ok.

My preference is for the Peterson range. They are reasonably priced and smoke well, particularly when broken in.

As for tobacco's, my all time favourite was Rich Dark Honeydew. Also, I had considerable success in mixing my own blends from commercially available tobacco's. I can recommend a 50/50 mix of Condor and Gold Block. Another is a 50/50 Condor and Clan mixture.

There are online tobacconists who offer a good range of packed and loose tobacco's. It is best to stick to a limited number and have pipes dedicated to tobacco's if you can. Put two ounces of Condor through a pipe and it will be Condorised for life.

I spend quite an amount of time in Cairo and every day take a couple of hours in the evenings drinking tea and smoking Shisha pipes (Hookahs), there are also many Hookers at the hotel I frequent, smoking pipes of an entirely different ilk!!). The Egyptians know exactly how to relax, I love it over there with the different fruit flavoured tobacco's. Caught a few fish from the Nile right in the centre of Cairo. Interesting.

The Churchyard Yew

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Having tried a few different tobbaccos this summer my favourite at the moment is Erinmore.Ive enjoyed lighting the pipe during warm summer evenings and yes it certainly has kept the flies away.Would anyone know what tobbaccos Jack Hargreaves and BV smoked?.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Can't help you there Champ - but I have recently discovered Peterson's Old Dublin blend which is very mellow and lovely.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Aaah,

Erinmore, that brings back childhood memories! It used to be my old mans favourite.

Never really liked a pipe, i was to young, went to a few pipe smoking copetitions in the late 80's that my dad's pipemaker used to run. Go to a nice pub have a meal then see who can keep a traditional clay pipe going for the longest, great stuff.

I gave up cigs years ago but do miss the odd cigar. Funny you so seldom see anyone with a pipe now, loads of them in the 70's and if you look at WW2 footage, young men smoked them then.

I would think JH either had his own baccy made up or just bought it loose, failing that probably Clan, Condor, Erinmore, St Bruno.

Gaz

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I was quite surprised to find the Pipe Smoker Of The Year award was discontinued as recently as 2004:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Smoker_of_the_Year

And even more surprised that Tolkien never won it.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Steven Fry tells a funny story about how he won the award (Harold Wilson being another recipient): apparently he was leaving the house one day and didn't have any cigarettes (he being a heavy smoker at the time) so grabbed his grandfather's old pipe and tobacco pouch on the way out the door. Later on for a bit of fun and to get his nicotine hit he loaded up the pipe and smoked it on a bench - and was astonished to find later in the day that he'd been seen, photographed and awarded the Pipe Smoker of the Year Award!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I merely relate the story as told by the good Mr. Fry on QI some years back... cannot comment on his "changed tune"!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”