Worrying situation at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Worrying situation at Redmire

Post by Nigel Rainton »

There were fewer flying insects this year, there were no decent hatches of fly on the river and lakes I fish. Noticeably fewer wasps and bees. The cause is not known but it's sure to get worse before the general public take an interest.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Quite possibly the result of the wet summer, plays havoc with insect life. Last autumn we took the roof off one of the cottages at the farm and there were probably 200 queen wasps hibernating under the Kent peg tiles so at that point there was no shortage of possible colonies.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have often thought about our deteriorating environment. It is a global problem and the scale of disasters caused by over population will increase. The majority of people live in cities and if they are concerned about pollution, it is usually air pollution that gets their attention. In the UK water pollution, decreasing numbers of wild flowers, birds and insects are mentioned on the 6:00pm news and then forgotten.

It will take a huge 'natural' disaster, akin to the global financial meltdown, before anything meaningful is done.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Here is Fennel's video explaining the situation from last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... bZempL19pQ

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:34 pm Here is Fennel's video explaining the situation from last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... bZempL19pQ
Good video and a sensible approach for the future. It will be interesting to see what actually happens.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Fennel has presented a very clear explanation of the problems and the possible solutions at Redmire.
But with Redmire being a commercial fishery what are the chances of the owners agreeing to close the lake even for a single year?
Watching the video has only reinforced my thoughts in that I don't think it is going to happen and that it is already to late for Redmire.
Thanks for sharing Shaun.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Fennels film touched on the loss of aquatic organisms and water quality.A bit left field,pardon the pun but studies into crop dessication/pre crop harvest spraying of glyphosate onto the land/type of crops bordering the pool could be a reason for this.
For anyone interested this soil association study has information on leaching into water courses
https://www.soilassociation.org/media/7 ... report.pdf
From friends of the earth,
https://www.foeeurope.org/sites/default ... hosate.pdf

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Thanks for sharing Fennel's video which to be honest makes for pretty depressing viewing. I know nothing about the owners of the estate but I'm sure that if they were in a financial position to carry out the necessary works they would have done so by now.
To hear that perhaps a quarter of the carp are now part ghost carp is shocking as Redmire to my knowledge was probably the last water to contain pure Leney stock.
The cost of de-silting, installing silt traps etc is going to cost a significant sum of money that for the estate may not be economically viable and the neighbouring farmer will use his land to maximise his profits and will not be influenced by any sentimental value of the pool.
Lets hope for a miracle!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Through talking to a few and the way I understand it is that the sale has been put on hold whilst family members are given the chance to raise money to buy the estate and keep the estate within the family.

I really can't see any money being spent on the pool. The current owners are wanting shut and those trying to raise the money to buy the estate are doing just that. The money is obviously not readily there so there is no way that I can see they would prioritize spending on the pools which come into insignificance in the grand scheme of an estate with buildings. I would imagine as a last resort if the money isn't raised they would opt for buying as much property as they could secure and selling part of the land - the pools.

Just me thinking out loud.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am Through talking to a few and the way I understand it is that the sale has been put on hold whilst family members are given the chance to raise money to buy the estate and keep the estate within the family.

I really can't see any money being spent on the pool. The current owners are wanting shut and those trying to raise the money to buy the estate are doing just that. The money is obviously not readily there so there is no way that I can see they would prioritize spending on the pools which come into insignificance in the grand scheme of an estate with buildings. I would imagine as a last resort if the money isn't raised they would opt for buying as much property as they could secure and selling part of the land - the pools.

Just me thinking out loud.
Any idea as to the number of acres involved Shaun? The house and grounds including the pools? And the surrounding farmland?
Best regards
Mem

Return to “Redmire Pool”