Milbro Paragon float rod F49

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Milbro Paragon float rod F49

Post by Vole »

I'm afraid that the cheap fittings and not enough rings syndrome became all too common in the sixties, as hollow glass became both better and cheaper and glass-to-glass joints were developed. A tragedy for cane rod-makers at the time, though it works in our favour now, as good cane was being unstockpiled as quickly as possible; meaning there are lots of old rods out there that only need new ferrules and rings to be superb. The prime example being the "Lucky Strike", whose price went through the roof a few years back.
My newer, ready-to-go Paragon had its proper Christening yesterday, landiing barbel of 7.5 and 8.5 lb. on 10 lb line, with no problems. I was holding it to leger for most of a two-and-a-half hour session, and must confess I wouldn't want to use it as a trotting rod for much longer than that! (Though I'm not the lad I used to be, and wasn't that much of one when I was).
The middle section is a bit flat when the rod is bent, but I never yet saw a fish refuse a bait because the rod presenting it didn't form a perfect parabola, and if they don't mind, why should I worry?
It is strong yet bendy, and I like it very much.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”