Chapman's rods

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Chapman's rods

Post by Snape »

Lovely stuff! :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

That whipping looks awesome Hayden!!

And Bob, what a wonderful set of rods you have there, I am insanely envious!! :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

They are lovely rods chaps
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

BobH

Post by BobH »

I though I would post up the pictures of the rods (difficult things to photograph) whilst I can, I don't think the Mrs. has a clue what fishing tackle I have and the pictures might be of use to someone for reference ?

Bob

BobH

Post by BobH »

I'm sure the three modern Cane Rods I use are still avaliable from Chapmans.

And they are brilliant rods !!

Bob

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

BobH wrote:I though I would post up the pictures of the rods (difficult things to photograph) whilst I can, I don't think the Mrs. has a clue what fishing tackle I have and the pictures might be of use to someone for reference ?

Bob
As somone once said...

"My biggest fear is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing tackle for what I said I'd paid for it"

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Bob, three lovely rods. I like the idea of an 11 ft MkIV Carp.

When began collecting cane the Chapman 500s were about £60 and every antique shop I went into seemed to have one. They were all knackered old rods with terrible sets. I eventually got hold of a James Avon whilst my fishing friend bought a couple of Chapmans in pretty good shape. I always liked the idea of the detachable handle and his 500 was a nice rod for carping on a local pond where the fish went up to 10lbs.

Is suspect when I can find a decent one I may yet buy a Chapmans rod but as has been said there are lots out there and many would need some serious work. I never much liked the ferrules they used.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

BobH

Post by BobH »

Beresford wrote:Bob, three lovely rods. I like the idea of an 11 ft MkIV Carp.

When began collecting cane the Chapman 500s were about £60 and every antique shop I went into seemed to have one. They were all knackered old rods with terrible sets. I eventually got hold of a James Avon whilst my fishing friend bought a couple of Chapmans in pretty good shape. I always liked the idea of the detachable handle and his 500 was a nice rod for carping on a local pond where the fish went up to 10lbs.

Is suspect when I can find a decent one I may yet buy a Chapmans rod but as has been said there are lots out there and many would need some serious work. I never much liked the ferrules they used.
----

Beresford,

I would make enquiries with Brian or John Chapman and see how much it costs for the Blanks, I know they will put on the handle if required.

It certainly cost a great deal less than a made up rod and they can supply all the bits for a complete kit.

As always, they are busy, but worth the wait !!

Old Cane, is Old cane, you can get lucky, but I would prefere to buy New Cane if I can and do the builds myself.

All the rods I have put on site, except the very latest were built by me or referbed by me !!

And the joy of catching on a rod you have built is worth every penny for the time and effort.

Bob

PaulJohno

Post by PaulJohno »

Two questions in one post.

Making myself a 500 and down to the whipping stage, not that fussed about copying the full Chapmans Delux spec.
I had some cane that was not deep enough for the second of a dual order for 9' stalkers so I looked around for a use.
The cane was roughed to make sections 4' 6" so I was quite limited and thought :thumb: I would like one for myself and how easy is the straight simple taper.

Nice bit of cane that lends it's self to my first attempts with silk whips, plus I have a lovely set of carded Seymo's (ebay) that have great feet that lend themselves to see through whippings.
Hunted high and low for Aqualite butt and tips eyes to hold at least this true to the stated Chapmans spec.
Managed to get an Aqualite butt eye from Goldwich (USA) and I am now struggling for a suitable tip eye, one on ebay from Anglerssupplies that would do.

What has thrown me is I have just collected a 550 I have been asked to refurb, the tip has the common been broken and shortened re whipped tip eye we see so often. Only in this case there is a threaded tip eye on it, did Chapmans ever put one on?
When I planed my 500 copy I initially fanced a screw eye and planed to make me an quiver tip for old times.
It is not to late the ditch my aqualite plan and go for a hardlone butt and screwed tip eye.

Next question is the 550 has deco whips, did Chapmans use them on the 500's?
Plans to copy the style of the rod as it came to me as this is how the guy wants it, however it looks like to will be faster and better to make a new tip as it has quite a set to go with its short state and whilst I can straighten it they often do not stand the test of time and use. so why go through all the effort to strip and rebuild a lost cause.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Might be worth giving John at Chapmans a ring Paul. As far as I know the 500 was never made with a screwed tip ring and I'm absolutely positive that the 550 never had one. I put one on the 500 I restored as it was the only aqualite tip eye I had that looked something like. I've since tried it with a screw in quiver tip and even a 3oz one doesn't give anything like a decent curve into the top section of the rod. The tips on cane rods are just too heavy to make a screw in quiver tip much use. I'm going to buy a butt indicator for mine.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”