In search for the finest British Tackle shop!

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: In search for the finest British Tackle shop!

Post by Nobby »

I think the term 'aerial match' has been appended by modern collectors to differentiate the reel made for just one year from the later match aerials.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The 1939 reel has 'The Aerial Match' inscribed. The 1965 (1965-71) reel has 'Match Aerial'.

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Mark wrote:I have added 7 and 8 from Red Creel.

1. Townsend Tackle, Humberstone Road, Leicester
2. Davis Tackle, Bargates, Christchurch
3. Alans Fishing Tackle, Worcester
4. Woody's of Hereford
5. Harefield Tackle, Harefield Village, Middx
6. Tackle and Gun shop, Tenterden Kent
7. Tadley Angling Centre, North Hampshire
8. Thames Valley Angling, Tilehurst, Berkshire
Thanks Mark was having a senior moment as i forgot to add on the previous nominations :hide:

Muskieman
Bleak

Post by Muskieman »

I also live in Essex and have found the tackle shops here to be rather sterile. The personal service is sadly lacking and, in some cases, the knowledge of the staff is too. I wonder if there is anyone from Scunthorpe on here who remembers Andrews tackle shop on Ashby Road or Bennetts on Frodingham Road. Andrews had a rather attractive young lady working in there which I'm sure contributed to the numbers of anglers visiting the shop. There was also a chap by the name of Ken Precious who used to tie hooks and build rods. He did a couple for me and very good they were as well. The hooks were top flight too.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

My best mates have owned a tackle shop for 18yrs, it gets tougher each year with people setting up mail order businesses from home on tiny margins which cant be matched.

The sad thing is, once you have your outfit, these back street dealers will not be able to sell you a pint of their finest cleaned maggots, a couple of pints of fresh hemp, a packet of 16 hooks & a tub of shot.

Also there are not many youngsters getting into fishing, now, so my mates encourage them by giving them free bait and set up their tackle

so my vote goes to;

Mark 2 Angling, Crayford, Kent

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

S C Fuller of Dorking is a family run business and the staff are very friendly and helpful, a good old fashioned tackle shop that should be visited regularly :-)

Tinca10
Ruffe

Post by Tinca10 »

Having recently moved from Kent to the Surrey/Hants border, I have had the great fortune to discover The Creel in Aldershot, run by Mick Borro, and his wife Fran. I don't suppose the shop has changed much in the last 50 years; Mick repairs and restores vintage tackle at very reasonable prices. He's already given my Allcocks Match Aerial a service, and in the New Year, when funds allow, I'll let him have my Mark IV. He is also membership secretary for Farnham Angling Society. It's a wonderful spot to spend an afternoon.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Davis tackle Christchurch, that little fly fishing shop in usk-forgotten the name but it's a portal to another era.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Dawsons,Holme Lane,Hillsborough,Sheffield
Still hanging on in spite of online competition.In business for over 100 years.Good quality rod repairs at very reasonable prices,flys tied on the premises,top quality bait and great service.Still run by the same family who are themselves top class anglers
Mark Davies

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

1, Keswalls, Collier Row
2, Bowlers, Dagenham

I used to work for Ray Wallace (Keswalls) in me yoof when they were at Woodford... helped them move shop to Woodford Bridge.... as payment I got my Sealey Blue Match :Thumb: :Cool:

Bowlers is a big shop.... lacks a little of the personal touch but loooooaaaaads of stock
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”