Fibreglass Owners and Users.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Bigoll
Silver Bream

Re: Fibreglass Owners and Users.

Post by Bigoll »

I still use a Milbro Spinwell 7ft float rod, though its whippy action makes it a great quiver-tip. It's a handsome shade of transluscent fluorescent yellow with red trimmings and a nice, soft cork handle :Cool:

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I got a 12ft 2 piece rod from cash converters for about 8 quid. It was described as a carp rod but is more like an avon rod. It is painted matte black and all the rings are lined, I use it quite alot with leger floats in deep water after Tench , it does the job a treat and I bet the rings alone would cost more than I paid. I have a BW S/U MKIV 11ft Carp rod which I use for big uns and Pike. The BW MKIV glass rods are quality items although some of the prices asked these days are a bit steep.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

As with all rod making materials it's the tapers that are most important in creating the required action. Most glass float rods are rather thick in the butt compared with both cane and carbon. A nice compromise is the early 11 foot Sealey Black Arrow with the good quality reinforced metal ferrules. The butt is quite slim yet the action is reasonably firm, not unlike a Wizard actually. All in all a nice rod and a very good allrounder, mine has coped with chub, tench and this winter a double figure carp.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

I have a Hardy LRH type spinning rod, lovely pike rod. I did have a Chapmans 450 but sold it to a chap in Germany last year. I do think they have soul.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

i occasionally use a glass rod, today had an edgar sealy black arrow delux in my hand with matching flocast reel, it comes out rarely but today was out because a friend of mine broke the tip section of his black arrow. Mine came to me with 6" missing and had a new bit spliced in, just to show him it was possible and still useable when repaired. also have a shakespear 'strike' which is a replacement for the one i had stolen with a load of gear in the 90's. It was the first rod i bought myself back in the late 70's and this one is a mint unused (when i got it) one from a tackle shop clear out, it had fallen behind a wall unit in a cellar along with a few other wonders from that era. it's been used only once since i found it but had a nice tench on it from the water i used to fish when i got it, brought back many memories, but compared with my cane rods is pretty awful :Wink:

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Here's my one and only Fibreglass Rod by E R Craddock of Redditch. It's an 11ft Float Rod which I hope will be bending soon on a local small Carp dominated venue. It's immaculate and unused and might have been left over new old stock, which was never sold, as it has never been used. I think the E R Craddock Company went into liquidation or was dissolved as late as 1972, - maybe someone will know more?

Regards
Last edited by NiceRoach on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
niceroach

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I like those glass rods that johnL pointed out. Thee's a rather nice Chapman 1000 in the same translucent bambooey coloured glass on the bay too. Starting price is £60 though.

Gaz

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Caught today, despite the cold weather. Unfortunately, no real match for the fibreglass carp rod
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

That makes a pretty picture.
niceroach

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Wow what a great photo, the net looks amazing the Mitchell, the rod and not a bad fish too :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”