Boilies for barbel

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Boilies for barbel

Post by RBTraditional »

"I think we already realised that being a traditionalist fisherman is in the heart and is much more about how we fish rather than the bait and tackle."

Are you sure Snape, particularly the last word? I'd say if you weren't using cane and pin you're not really in keeping with traditionalist values, no offence intended be assured. I know you can argue about silk lines and gaffs and the like but surely the cane, pin, wicker creel, han made floats and rod rests, ash landing nets, kelly, tweed etc are what it's truly all about?To put things in perspective...all of my double figure barbel have come on cane pin and meat ball and my fishing partner for nearly 40 years has had over 200 of this size without resorting to Mr Wiltons recipies...
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

RBTraditional wrote:"I think we already realised that being a traditionalist fisherman is in the heart and is much more about how we fish rather than the bait and tackle."

Are you sure Snape, particularly the last word? I'd say if you weren't using cane and pin you're not really in keeping with traditionalist values, no offence intended be assured. I know you can argue about silk lines and gaffs and the like but surely the cane, pin, wicker creel, han made floats and rod rests, ash landing nets, kelly, tweed etc are what it's truly all about?To put things in perspective...all of my double figure barbel have come on cane pin and meat ball and my fishing partner for nearly 40 years has had over 200 of this size without resorting to Mr Wiltons recipies...
Yes I agree, RBT particularly as I am rather puritanical about using exclusively cane and either 'pin or vintage fixed spool, ash etc landing nets, wicker stuff etc etc.
So maybe I should remove the word tackle although I know people who have the traditionalist perspective but haven't entirely made the jump. I would prefer to fish with someone who shared my perspective on fishing but had carbon etc rather than someone who had bought a load of cane etc but still didn't get the point - unlikely though that is....
Last edited by Snape on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave

Post by Dave »

I find the discussion on what constitutes a traditional angler quite fascinating. In reality there is no such thing. I look in on forums such as this because I believe the people that frequent them have general traditional values; they would help an elderly person load their shopping at the supermarket, they would help a youngster see right from wrong, they would share a bait if it appered to be working on a particular day. In other words they are a genuinely nice person! We have seen many examples on here already in this forum's relatively short life of such examples eg offers of tackle, advice, help etc

Using a cane rod does not make you a traditional angler if that rod has been recently made, albeit by a craftsman, but at a cost of £1000+ does it? Maybe using an old rod rescued from a shed does? I don't know.

If we claimed to be traditionalists surely we would not subscribe to a forum such as this, we would be busy writing letters to each other using 50 year old fountain pens but no, we draw the line here. We sit in front of our new flat screen LED tv's while texting each other on our latest I -phones so when appropriate we make our lives more enjoyable by submitting to quite modern technology and there is nothing wrong at all with that. So, in my humble opinion a refusal to accept a boilie as a bait is at odds with owning a laptop on which to write your views to the TFF but as I say, the one thing I do believe is that everyone on this forum holds general traditional values that make them all a good crowd to chew the fat over....

Now...where's the Sky remote???

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I cannot accept that, in defining a traditional angler, tackle must take precedence over sensibility. My very first rod was a Japanese split-cane "Sunfish" combination (not too bad, all considering), and I have used cane recently for carp. But I am more likely to use carbon now, because that is my choice for the majority of my fishing. However, I still consider myself to be a traditional angler, because I use traditional methods or methods that derive from traditional techniques, and I use them because they give me great pleasure, and they work for me. I also try to fish small, quiet waters, off the beaten track: where the fish have no names and have not been stocked recently. I am also a traditionalist because I revere the history of fishing, especially carp fishing, and I am a magpie collector of information concerning the heritage of our wonderful sport. Let us be a broad church. I do not brew tea on the bank,and I only wear tweed socially, not for angling purposes; but I feel very much at home on this site, because it gives me hope for the future of fishing, and greater insights into its glorious past.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A nest of vipers (or is Pandora's wicker box?) being exposed here if we are not careful! :wink:
Being traditionalist will mean different things to different people and we have had the 'what does it mean' discussion on here before.
Using cane etc is important to me (because it gives me please to use) but overall I stand by "being a traditionalist fisherman is in the heart and is more about how we approach our fishing than the other things".
On a more subtle note is there a difference between being a traditional fisherman and a traditionalist fisherman? I would describe myself as the latter but not particularly the former....
Does that mean I'm on the wrong forum? :chuckle:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Your not on the wrong forum Snape, neither are the others who have contributed to this topic. It seems that we all have our own views as to what a traditional fisherman is. I think you should all know how I feel about it, I went as far as to set up the forum so like minded gentlemen could talk about a passion that we all have in common. I would like to think that I have the same or similar traditional values as Chris Yates, this is traditional fishing to me and the best way for me to describe my view, right or wrong. I would also like to think that you all feel the same as FB no matter what your interpretation of the word traditional is and feel very much at home on this site, after all, without you gentlemen there would be no forum. :hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

And we are very glad you did create this forum Mark. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Spot on Mark…..

This forum is for anglers who understand and respect the traditional side of the pastime, angling from a time where numbers didn’t matter, beer was not essential items of kit and re-mortgaging the house to fund new items of equipment wasn’t necessary. It is where like minded folk can spend a few hours reading up on their favourite hobby and share information with fellow members. We have members from far and wide, all with differing opinions on certain things but with one thing in common, a love/passion for all things traditional. That is why such discussions can take place such as this one where members do have differing views but the discussion doesn’t go sour, tempters aren’t flared and bonds are not broken, and for that I thank you, it certainly makes my job easier and gives the right impression for those who don't understand but may be looking in for some inspiration.

Sorry to hijack your thread, I just feel that what Mark quite rightly touched upon gave me an opportunity to express how grateful I am that you guys are doing such a good job.

:hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned boilies, sorry chaps :oops:

On the Redmire forum a while ago someone started a thread asking why we are all so passionate about the little pool. My answer, I think, would also suit this discussion.

"For those of you who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those of you who don't understand, no explanation is possible".

It is a mindset as Snape says just as much as anything else. I have cane and carbon but whichever I am using on the day it is still me enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside, sitting mesmerised by the water and the gentle bobbing of the float, basking in the pleasure of the catch and enjoying the company of like minded individuals like your good selves!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Spot on Tony. :D

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”