Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Which Barbour jacket do you wear?

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Does anyone still use one of the original 'Brown' Northumbria's before they made them 'Sage' to match the lighter weight materials?

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Not an answer to Shaun but this might be of some interest:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bCnByL4vXNU/T ... Hoodie.jpg
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The old saying...

"I wish I had a pound for every Barbour Coat I sold over my 25 years at the shop", really stands true for me.

During the height of the 'Sloane Ranger Yuppie' period when it seemed like every city dweller wanted to dress as though they were from the country, we sold literally 1,000's from the shop. We had become Barbour's biggest account in the Midland's and I remember for fun one Christmas we set a competition for the 12 staff for the person who sold the most Barbour jackets in the week running up to Christmas. Several of the staff ran well into 3 figures.

It's funny how things log into your brain, I have been away from the shop for 10 years and to be fair my last 10 years the Barbour waxed garment sales had really dropped, yet I still find myself remembering every detail and every bit of sales patter for the main ones we kept in stock.

The Trenchcoat, Northumbria, Solway and Moorland on the Heavyweights.

The Burghley, Border, Gamefair, Beaufort, Bedale and Spey on the Lightweights and the Durham on the Flyweight.

We kept the Mark Phillips as well and the Long Shoreman as well, but these never really took off.

I found it quite sad the year they really shook themselves up and decided to go all out for the fashion market. Suddenly much less practical garments were released and product started to be imported. The sales team totally altered too. From my favourite agent at the time Trevor Dolman running through the range with us and taking orders, we now had fashion student types that just didn't seem to want to know about 'proper hard wearing country clothing'.

Even their moleskin trousers and breeks went incredibly thin and didn't look anything like their previous materials.

Hey ho - the world moves on and not always for the better.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I went to my local Barbour outlet shop last year on my VFR750- frightened the staff to death as very much the sales efforts are focused on people who like the look rather than activity- applies to the fishing /shooting stuff as well

still- good that they are still going and compared to Belstaff are still much closer to their roots and still with a strong UK base

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Does anyone still use one of the original 'Brown' Northumbria's before they made them 'Sage' to match the lighter weight materials?

mine is 26.5 years old and almost black (but think thats 26 years of dirt!)

Craggs-Dale

Post by Craggs-Dale »

I adore my Barbour 'Lord James Percy' light olive cotton jacket, with the cuffs and deep pockets trimmed in leather piping. It is long enough, odourless and rustle less. It is embellished with a large brass zip and half-crown sized mock horn buttons down the front and one on each of the pockets. It 'feels' nice to wear and has a 1950's look about it.

CD

Sion
Bleak

Post by Sion »

European - about 20 years old

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

My late dad used to work for a gents outfitters where he could get Barbour's at discount, my first one was a Solway still in use although a little tight ! I did send it to Barbour to see if the sleeves could be lengthened and a renovation, however.....they said it was not feasible ! the other one was a Gamefair much lighter cloth and worn till it fell to bits, both bought over 30 years ago, bit more more recent is a Northhumbria, a nice tarten wool lining but showing wear and tear, ripped pockets etc held together with tape ! I do have a pair of old brown over trousers with the original check lining, still use them on occasion, others chaps have already said it but the company moved largely away from country work/ sports wear some time ago for the fashion market.
Tight lines Dave

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Shaun Harrison wrote:The old saying...

"I wish I had a pound for every Barbour Coat I sold over my 25 years at the shop",

The Trenchcoat, Northumbria, Solway and Moorland on the Heavy weight

The Burghley, Border, Gamefair, Beaufort, Bedale and Spey on the Lightweights and the Durham on the Flyweight.
I bought a Trenchcoat and used to wear it without the belt, over the top of the normal jacket. I used to rewax it every year and wore it until it literally, started to fall apart!
It was the best weatherproof coat i have ever had and would have unhesitatingly bought another, if they were still available, but fashion had moved on..
I have worn a "3 in 1" for the last nine years. It is very nice and totally weatherproof, but not as nice to wear as that old Trenchcoat!

..Wish you still sold them Shaun!

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

A Classic Moorland and a classic Solway Zipper.Both nearly 20 years old and in case of the
Moorland repaired a few times over the years..

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”