New British carp Record perhaps....

This forum is for discussing carp.
WoodBurnerMatt
Rudd

Re: New British carp Record perhaps....

Post by WoodBurnerMatt »

The couple of (young) carp lads who work at the shop where I buy my maggots and bits from both did a course in fishery management, not to work in the industry, just so they could maximise the welfare of the (many) and beautiful fish they catch. They regularly give me very welcome advice, so let's be careful not to judge just by style of fishing.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

may be I've been a bit harsh but I've seen some nasty mouth injurys and really upsets me as it just not necessary

WoodBurnerMatt
Rudd

Post by WoodBurnerMatt »

I think it is very admirable to get upset by (lack of) fish welfare Mario, I agree with your sentiments.
My only point is that when you see these two 'salt of the earth' young lads, multi pierced and into the club scene, they don't 'look' perhaps like they would take fish welfare quite as seriously as they do, yet they sell it passionately (and quite literally) to everyone who enters their shop (particularly other young carp anglers)

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

The only bit of B.C. kit I kept, my disgorges,forceps and a bottle of Kynaston Klin-ik. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Shame that a post on the heaviest carp landed so far in the U.K. has to go down the route of criticising carp anglers. The fish in question was damaged as a young fish before it even lived in the water where it has grown so well and a water that was never fished by carp anglers. This water has really suited that fish as can be seen by how well it has developed, so solid and so fit looking. Unfortunately the damage caused in its juvenile years whilst living in a match water has never healed up. This is not a dig at match anglers, just me trying to put the story straight from above comments.
I would rather celebrate this fish for the way it has developed. The treatment it has had by the carp anglers over its previous captures in it's current home can't have been that bad for it to continue to grow and over take in weight and possibly length of any other U.K. carp.
Let's remember this fish for what it is, a capture by a top carp angler who has been around the scene a long while, a true grown 68 lb carp, not a spawn bound old 38 lb 'er from Redmire that so many almost seemingly worship. Perhaps a tad harsh, but reality often is.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

:cheers: Hear hear Shaun.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Well said Shaun. There are too many that point and judge when we should be congratulating a fellow angler for reaching the ultimate goal - British carp record holder. Sure its not the same as Walker's or Yates' moment in the sun but it's still a phenomenal achievement for those that follow that direction.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Agree and well said Shaun also agree with Dave.... (there's always a first) just because not every fisherman uses cane and a very modern approach is adapted with the use of up to date materials and modern ways it doesn't mean they are to blame for mouth damage...... as this wonderful fish is so very big and also very old what's to say this mouth damage which was caused when it was very young was caused by an angler using a cane rod! As I said earlier modern carp anglers do prioritise over welfare of the fish not all I would imagine but just because others don't like or practice the modern approach doesn't mean they are bad anglers in any way.....if individuals continue to believe that the "others " are all bad anglers with broom sticks yanking out carp and ripping there mouths apart then it will be us as cane users getting a bad name blaming others!!

Wonderful fish once more
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Shaun, Dave, Bob, Loop, I think others were just pointing out that yes it is indeed a fine fish and yes the angler is to be applauded but it is/was a shame at sometime during it's life it has suffered a angler induced injury no more no less.
This is after all a forum for discussion, it would be a little dull if every new post was simply answered with a one word comment...... I shall now don my flack jacket :Hat:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

What a beautiful fish. It's scale pattern and proportions are lovely. I hope it gets the chance to put on another 10lb and is photographed at that weight in another five years.

Well done to it's captor. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”