Pipes

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Davyr

Re: Pipes

Post by Davyr »

All just a pipedream, I expect. :wink:

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

probably went up in smoke long ago....

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Best stop there, before we get on to this:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/unohoo/ ... acco-label

:o

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Good heavens!

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

gaztheangler wrote:Aaah,Erinmore, that brings back childhood memories! It used to be my old mans favourite.
Ive found pipe tobacco quite difficult to find in local shops.Condor,Gold block and Erinmore have been the easiest to get.Erinmore is the one i like best the others are a little strong.Clan is sometimes stocked but i havent tried it this time around as i didnt like it in the past.It smells nice when someone else is smoking it though.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

I used to smoke a pipe years ago...It helped me get off the 'fags.'

Erinmore was always reliable.
Condor always seemed a bit rough.
Clan was so perfumed it affected the flavour too much.
Gold Block was okay but I preferred Erinmore
Balkan Sobranie was pricey.

My favourite was Exmoor Hunt, it had a green tin with a Red Stag on it, if memory serves. The tobacco drew really well, smoked for ages etc. and tasted the best out of all of the above. I used to get it from a little Tobacconist Shop in Garstang, long gone and I 've never seen it since!

Pipes are great for Midge control whilst fishing but I prefer to indulge in cakes now as it just became too expensive to smoke on a regular basis, apart from a treat at Christmas......

I can feel the need for a pipe now, what with all this chat!!!

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Grayling

Post by Grayling »

I smoke a pipe whilst fishing and suround myself with the smell of "condor" which is my particular favourite. I tend to think it has something to do with Mr Crabtree because I have never even considered smoking cigarettes but have used my pipe for peaceful contemplation for several decades.
Regarding the smell i do not know the answer I can remember being impreessed when Chris Yates said he liked the smell of my pipe but then he spoiled it by saying it reminded him of his Grandfather and Chris and I are the same age.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

My father was on occasion a pipe smoker, not for many years now and I still remember the smell of St. Bruno that wafted from his workshop or the infusion of tobacco smoke that permeated the interior of his work truck, a mini pickup with the old sliding windows and pull cord for a door opener, takes me right back to being ten years old again, that and the smell of Henry Wintermans half coronas that my grandfather was never without. Neither of them were fishermen but it's funny how a smell can take you back in time. I was in Covent garden recently and paid a visit to the tobacconist just to look at the pipes, breath in the aroma, not so much second hand smoke as there was none, smoking in the workplace rules and all that, more to remember a simpler time and I found myself looking longingly at a Briar Pear and the images of a late summer evening by the lake watching a quill gently slide away came to mind, not that I have ever smoked a pipe, or a cigarette for over 20 years, the odd cigar maybe. Maybe in another life I was a pipe smoker as I had half a mind to treat myself to it and a couple of ounces of something mild and aromatic but I settled for another whaft of unburied tobacco and went on my way again. I'll pass the shop again sometime, when my willpower is less, and my wife's not with me :wink:

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

This may be of interest, to the pipe collectors, which was on fleabay........ Item number: 221128433403

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

My Corn cob pipe arrived a week or so ago.Friday was the first time i had a chance to light the bonfire.I was pleasantly surprised with the result.A cool smoke straight away and there was no need to burn the bowl in which is a chore i find.

I bought the Missouri Meerschaum one.Just over £7 delivered.It will probably burn out quickly but i am impressed speaking as a returner to pipes.After a very long break.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”