Crucian Carp

Re: River Roding

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Ill be down there after the summer holidays :wink:

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

I used to get on my bike in the early 60's to fish the Roding at Passingford Bridge, Stanford Rivers and Abridge and when watching my Dad play cricket at Buckhurst Hill. They were really my formative years of river fishing. Moving on to the Chelmer and Suffolk Stour later when a lift was available in the late 60's
Many a time a spent fishing and riding home in the dark to Harold Hill, without lights, mostly catching small chub, dace , minnows, loach, and scaring some enormous roach!
Fond memories of a lovely river of character which I now,or before the end of last year anyway, only saw from the M25 and thought, one day I'll go back and have another go. Probably not now!

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Fred,

We used to ride out to Passingford around twenty years later 79/80/81.

Mainly fished at Arnolds Farm or sneaked on by the bridge.

All club water now along there, I live in Collier Row so its straight through Havering-atte-Bower and down the road for me.

From what i read on other sites the fishing is quite hard so I don't think i'll join a club just to fish there when the other lower stretches are free.

I do reckon i'll be back on the Roding this winter though.

Gaz

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Me too Gaz...Maybe meet up ?

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Great Idea John,

I've still to wet a line in Epping though.

But the forecast for a week today looks ok. If it stays that way i'm going to Goldings after reading through your posts again.

Gaz

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Yeah Gaz give it a go lovely pond. Ill be out the picture for the summer hols( schools now)

Good luck....John

Andrew Banham

Post by Andrew Banham »

hi all
i am the bailiff for the roding at passingford bridge upto shonks mill road bridge. i would say the biggest problem is abstraction by potatoe growers who can take what they want. why are potatoes allowed to be grown in the third driest county in england. the dog toothed weir replaced the old lock gates and the weir has been set too high and the flow almost stops in summer, of course not lately. the weir has a fish pass and we get the odd leather carp or barbel come through from passingford mill weir pool to our stretch when we have extra water. i only fish this stretch but would like to know if anyone fishes in ray park where the ea and council put in a back water etc near buckhurst hill. the fish stocks are small however the fish do grow big and i have already lost a nice fish on half a loworm on a 8 hook 8lb hooklength and 10lb main line during the floods. i always use running rigs and barbless hooks. its almost impossible to remove a barbed hook stuck in the gill rakers of perch. my best is only 2.11 but many upper 3,s have been caught and they are all young fish feeding on crayfish. there was a slurry accident last year between the M25 and passingford bridge and the fire bridgade informed th EA who worked through the night to stop it entering the river. a few years ago they would have just let it go straight in. it was a very bad incident 2 farm hands lost there lives. the EA tell me at barking creek double figure bream swim with bass. they call passingford bridge the upper river and i have fished it for 35 years and remember before the big pollution in 79-80 remeber the tanker at rebridge and the 2003 pollution at the rodings above fyfield from a fly tipped septic tank. i have only found this forum today and will update regulary on my trips

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Andrew. Say 'hello' in the 'New Members' section and I'm sure you will receive a warm welcome.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

andrew banham wrote:hi all
i am the bailiff for the roding at passingford bridge upto shonks mill road bridge. i would say the biggest problem is abstraction by potatoe growers who can take what they want. why are potatoes allowed to be grown in the third driest county in england. the dog toothed weir replaced the old lock gates and the weir has been set too high and the flow almost stops in summer, of course not lately. the weir has a fish pass and we get the odd leather carp or barbel come through from passingford mill weir pool to our stretch when we have extra water. i only fish this stretch but would like to know if anyone fishes in ray park where the ea and council put in a back water etc near buckhurst hill. the fish stocks are small however the fish do grow big and i have already lost a nice fish on half a loworm on a 8 hook 8lb hooklength and 10lb main line during the floods. i always use running rigs and barbless hooks. its almost impossible to remove a barbed hook stuck in the gill rakers of perch. my best is only 2.11 but many upper 3,s have been caught and they are all young fish feeding on crayfish. there was a slurry accident last year between the M25 and passingford bridge and the fire bridgade informed th EA who worked through the night to stop it entering the river. a few years ago they would have just let it go straight in. it was a very bad incident 2 farm hands lost there lives. the EA tell me at barking creek double figure bream swim with bass. they call passingford bridge the upper river and i have fished it for 35 years and remember before the big pollution in 79-80 remeber the tanker at rebridge and the 2003 pollution at the rodings above fyfield from a fly tipped septic tank. i have only found this forum today and will update regulary on my trips

I remember fishing Passingford 40 years ago and trotting for Roach of 8-12 ozs in literally their hundreds in 18 inches of water- and Perch to 3lb. Also glad as young kids (for my sins!) that you were not in place as balliff then!)

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

andrew banham wrote:hi all
Hello Andrew

Thanks for posting and thanks in advance for any info. I intend to have a crack at theRoding( when I get time) probably after my kids have gone back to school.

Its a lovely river from what I can see. I intend to have a rove down by The David Lloyd centre. Nice place to be. Certainly fish in there.....Might even catch one!

Return to “River Roding”