Peter Stone Ledgerstrike

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Colonelgsc
Roach

Re: Peter Stone ledgerstrike

Post by Colonelgsc »

PershoreHarrier wrote:As a lad in the 1960s living in Birmingham much of the close season was spent riding my bicycle from one fishing tackle shop to another where hours would be devoted to looking at the range of rods displayed in military style ranks at the back of the shop window with incremental wooden shelves in front upon which were displayed reels to match the rods.

I recall it took me the best part of a year to save the 90shillings for my first Mitchell 308 (reduced in the sale from £5/12/6 thank goodness).

However, I never forgot the names of those rods and reels that absorbed so much of my interest at the time and some 15 years ago or so I made a list of the key rods and reels that I recalled from those days and set myself the target of trying to acquire one of those rods each year. I also set myself the target of not only buying a rod per year but ensuring that if necessary it was restored and of course then used for the purpose it had been made for.

It is an interesting way of ensuring more trips every year as well as I try to ensure that each rod I have has at least one or two outings per year.

As the years have gone by the list has become shorter but in so doing finding the next rod off the list has become more difficult.

For 2014 I have set myself the objective of try to locate a Chapmans built cane Peter Stone Ledgerstrike rod but have become a little confused over some details I have discovered and the mists of time (50years) of looking through those tackle shop windows remains a little cloudy.

So I thought a post on here might clear those mists and enable me to properly focus my attention on the 2014 objective. Your guidance fellow TFFers would be appreciated.

Was the first version of the Peter Stone Ledgerstrike made by Chapmans a 3 piece rod refered to just as the 600?

Were the later versions of the Peter Stone Ledgerstrike made by Chapmans a 2 piece rod bearing the Peter Stone Ledgerstrike wording?

I am sure that in those Birmingham tackle shop windows the white label hanging from the butt ring said Peter Stone Ledgerstrike and not Chapmans 600.

Now to the important bit if both were in fact Peter Stone Ledgerstrike rods how did they compare. I would imagine that there would be quite a difference between the performance of a 3 piece rod and a 2 piece version and I am sure that someone out there has had the opportunity to road test both versions. Views would be greatly appreciated.

As to use when I find the rod - I have in mind using it as a ledgering rod for chub and barbel.

Thanks in anticipation.
Seasons Greetings, PH.......and hearty congrats in reaching the 'Legerstrike' in your annual quest; :Hat: good luck in the 'hunt' too. You'll have gathered from my posts I have a true fondness for these beautiful wands.

To answer your question, I've looked at Stoney's 1961 edition of 'Rod making' for you. He has a page or so talking about the 'Legerstrike', which he states " is now produced for general sale by Messrs Chapmans of Ware. SPECIFICATION, Two piece, length 10', built cane throughout, apart from the 18in. of Tonkin cane. 27-in. cork handle, winch fittings and shoulder collar and rubber button. Suction ferrule. Six full stand-off intermediate rings. Butt ring Agatine 26mm. Tip ring stand-off porcelain. One reel Sylko, one reel Nylec. PRICE: £4 2s 6d This two piece spec is confirmed in Tom Watson's 1966 tackle catalogue at a price of £9 and 10s or a slightly cheaper "new Look", with no intermediate whipping, butt cap and shoulder ferrule at £8 and 5s.

Having said all that, I've counted SEVEN intermediate rings on my two recently refurbed 'Legerstrikes'. This number is confirmed by the following link http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=431

Also, have a look at http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=403 for detailed spec on the 3 piece '600', the extra piece being the detachable cork handle, so I guess the action would not be drastically altered. However, I know there are others far more knowledgeable in these matters within our forum.

You could give John Chapman a ring too, I've always found him to be a very accommodating bloke.

Hope this helps, my friend.........I'll await news of your 'Year of the Legerstrike' with interest :Thumb:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Many thanks for your reply Colonelgsc which is gretly appreciated. Have you had experience of both versions i.e the two piece and three piece. I seem to recall reading somewhere that ideally rods should be made in one piece but practicality meant this could not be achieved and therefore rods were made in a number of pieces but these should be kept to a minimum.

For this reason and this reason alone I was going to concentrate on trying for a two piece Ledgerstrike rather than a three piece 600 although I have two three piece rods being a Chapmans 550 and a James Kennet Perfection where the handle is the third piece and in fairness I like and enjoy both rods immensely.

I shall be casting my net far and wide shortly to see if I can make the Ledgerstrike acquisition and will keep you posted on my endeavours.

Thanks once again.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Advertised as 2m70??

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It appears to be 15 inches short.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Short or not, if we are looking at the same rod there still appears to be a fair bit of interest.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Pretty sure its a short two piece ledgerstrike rather than the thee piece Peter Stone 600 ledger rod.
Had a bid with a view to getting a new top,any idea how much a new top would be?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

As a guide, new carp or avon blanks from Chapman's come in at just over £300 ... and the only tip section (Lucky Strike) I bought from them was just over £100.

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=335

Enquire of Andrew Davis or Ryan Burns too, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:As a guide, new carp or avon blanks from Chapman's come in at just over £300 ... and the only tip section (Lucky Strike) I bought from them was just over £100.

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=335

Enquire of Andrew Davis or Ryan Burns too, Sir.
Thanks AC me thinks I have bid enough already :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Must have been the Chapman's in my humble opinion ... The 'Elaine' is a heavy, tip action rod of 'match' configuration (over 20 ounces compared to the 14.5 of my Allcock's 'Featherlite' of the same length).

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I would like to say a big thank you to Paul Cook who has been so very kind in tracking down a Chapman Peter Stone Ledgerstrike rod for me, a rod that I have dearly wanted to own for a very long time. I should take delivery this coming week and can't wait to give it a try for some local chub or whatever may happen to come along.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”