Re: Fibreglass Owners and Users.

Post by MGs »

Thanks guys. It was this thread that made me get the rod out, glad I did
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

What's that green stuff the rod, net, unhooking mat, and carp are lying on ? :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not sure, it should be white

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Good work MGs, great to see a carp being caught in these conditions.....gives me home for tomorrow.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Steve,

My carbon rods are now dusty because I use my cane and glass rods. I'll use my wychwood travel carp rods in the summer in Devon after the Bass though.

Do you fish locally?

There's a few Essex boys on here.

Gaz

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

I've got 6 glass rods all of which I still use occasionally - especially if its wet weather & they're going to have to stay in the car boot for a while.

3 date from me starting out fishing in the '70s [Daiwa 12' float; Peter Stone 11' U/L leger; Aurora carp 10' - caught my most recent fish, a 5lb pike, on that] & 3 additions [13' Milbro; 13' Daiwa & a 1960s 12' match rod] that then led me into cane rods.

They've all helped catch memorable fish & I still enjoy using them.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Spurred on by SK's floater rod renovation. I have started work on one of my old rods. An 11' Bennett's of Sheffield glass float rod. It looks not unlike carbon being a very dark reddish brown. This was my first proper rod (following a poplar branch and a Winfield fly rod - pressed into coarse fishing use). The rod cost me the princely sum of £3.50, from memory, in the early 1970s. The thread to be used in the refurbishment cost more than that. How times change.
This rod served me well for nearly 20 years, catching virtually all of my fish during that period. It was originally whipped in green with imitation agate butt and tip rings. It has since been used in a blue whipped guise. As it now needs the full works, it will be back to green whipping, although this time tipped with red. The original eyes are all beyond salvage so a set of high bells and hardlon lined butt and tip will be used.

Photos to follow shortly

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Don't you just hate it when that happens. I had used the green whipping thread, for a couple of eyes (so I thought) obviously I had done a few more. I ran out two eyes before finishing. Order placed. I'll varnish the two sections I have finished so far.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I've still got the ABU Mk 6 in my avatar but haven't used it for a while; also got an original Shakespeare Wand, Roy Marlow Persuader, several glass whips and a North Western Avon, Tench and 2lb TC Carp. Must dust them off one day.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Bought today a Henry W Aiken Superflex Carp Select S.29fts, 2 piece, 10ft, Anyone any info on these rod,s ?
And a Daiwa Mark Downes Matchwinner, 3 piece, 10ft.

Lee.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”