Boilies for barbel

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
MGs
Pike

Re: Boilies for barbel

Post by MGs »

I must admit to having used boilies both for carp and barbel. However, I have rejected them in favour of other baits, on the grounds that, in my opinion, they were less effective on the waters I fish.

To continue the debate about tradition and traditional angling. I think this is very subjective. Much of your point of view will depend on when you grew up and when you started fishing.
1940s - 1960s then you will look back on cane rods, centrepins and quill floats
1960s - 1980s you probably think more about fibreglass and fixed spools
1980s - onwards then early carbon, boron etc will be your thing.

In 30 years time will boilies, rod pods, bivvys, spods and hair rigs be considered traditional? What is traditional is constantly changing and evolving as angling changes. We look back at anglers like Richard Walker and Maurice Ingham with veneration. However, they were innovators and constantly exploring the boundaries of our sport, in the search for better more efficient ways of catching fish. They would probably have used boilies and spods if they had thought of them. Today's modern anglers are attempting to do the same as these pioneers.

To my mind, "traditional" is more about how you approach your fishing and the mental attitude you have towards the water you fish and the species you catch. I like to catch fish but over the years this has become a less important aspect of my angling. I was obsessed with catching fish, catching the biggest fish I could and catching as many fish as I could.
I am still obsessed with trying to catch a 2lb roach. However, I am no longer disappointed when this doesn't happen. I am also less upset with blanking, which luckily doesn't happen often.
Because of our hectic modern lives, my fishing has over recent years been limited (last season I didn't have one session). I therefore take great pleasure in just having the opportunity to fish and be beside the water. I treat every session as a chance to relax and unwind rather than a fanatical quest. Therefore to me "traditional angling" is about enjoyment rather than the weight of fish on the bank. I have had some great days fishing where I have caught little or nothing because the weather was fantastic, I saw some rare wildlife I had the chance to catch up with an old fishing buddy etc.

End of sermon :lol:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MGs wrote:To my mind, "traditional" is more about how you approach your fishing and the mental attitude you have towards the water you fish and the species you catch. I like to catch fish but over the years this has become a less important aspect of my angling. I was obsessed with catching fish, catching the biggest fish I could and catching as many fish as I could.
I am still obsessed with trying to catch a 2lb roach. However, I am no longer disappointed when this doesn't happen. I am also less upset with blanking, which luckily doesn't happen often.
Because of our hectic modern lives, my fishing has over recent years been limited (last season I didn't have one session). I therefore take great pleasure in just having the opportunity to fish and be beside the water. I treat every session as a chance to relax and unwind rather than a fanatical quest. Therefore to me "traditional angling" is about enjoyment rather than the weight of fish on the bank. I have had some great days fishing where I have caught little or nothing because the weather was fantastic, I saw some rare wildlife I had the chance to catch up with an old fishing buddy etc.
End of sermon :lol:
Totally agree MGs.
The point about Walker et al using cane etc being pioneers of their time and current split cane users not being so, is akin to a 1960s E-type Jag owner being someone who wanted the latest, fastest car but the current owner of an E-type would be a different sort of person altogether.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Nicely put MGs. And for the 2lb roach, my quest continues tomorrow. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Nicely put MGs. And for the 2lb roach, my quest continues tomorrow. :thumb:
Success with your quest, SK! :thumb:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I think Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson sums up traditional angling rather well here http://fennelspriory.com/angling.htm
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Snape wrote:I think Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson sums up traditional angling rather well here http://fennelspriory.com/angling.htm
Agree, he does rather hit the nail on the head.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

A barbel bait: "In Marche and in Apryll take a fayre freshe chese, and laye it on the borde, and cut it in small square peces of the le[n]gth of your hooke. Than take a candell and brenne it at the ende at the poynt of the hooke vnto the tyme that it be yelowe, and than bynde it on your hooke with fletchers sylke, and make it tough lyke a welbede, this bayte is good all the sommer season."

Another version suggests it should read "Rough" like a welbede; as a welbed(e) is a woodlouse, I suggest that means it needs tying on tightly enough to look segmented.

So, we have a processed, milk-protein-based, part heat-treated bait, tied onto the hook in a shape and colouration suggesting a grub of some sort - a sort of Wickham's Fancy in cheese.

Pretty advanced for about 1450, I'd say. When are bait-makers going to catch up with the fifteenth century and give us imitation caddis larvae made of high-nutritional-value ingredients?
Bogged down in tradition, the lot of 'em....

Oops!...

(Incidentally, although he cribbed much of the layout of his introduction from the "Treatise", Walton was quite dimissive of Berners' wonderbait. Too trad or too rad, I wonder?)
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Fantastic stuff Vole. I wish there was translation to make it easier to read :think:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Snape wrote:Fantastic stuff Vole. I wish there was translation to make it easier to read :think:
I thought my eyesight was getting worse for a minute. :chuckle:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

I do sometimes use boilies for tench and carp but only when leaving a hookbait in the water for a long time is necessary. I get a bit nervous and loose confidence after a while with bread, meat and pastes.
Personally I don't see it any different from when the early carp anglers used par boiled potatoes to discourage small fish from nibbling off the bait.

My favourite bait for barbel though has always been luncheon meat.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”