An Eight Pound Chub

This forum belongs to Mike Wilson.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: An Eight Pound Chub

Post by Tengisgol »

I love a little bit of mystery myself. I think there are a few places where unknown monster chub could spring a surprise. Long, apparently barren, reaches of very rich rivers and especially where crayfish have been resident for a few years.

If you haven't already touched the moon with this great fish, I hope you get the record-smasher Mike!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

A nine Mike.....that's just being greedy :Hahaha: Honestly though all the very best with you're quest. I shall be out on Friday, Saturday and Monday for the last knockings, cant fish on Sunday as I really want to watch the Hammers put a hatfull past United in the cup! :Wink:
I will just be happy to catch, this cold wind really seems to have put the fish down round here.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Frank Gutfield's Thames fish. About a year ago this week. Bless him! A dear friend and a loss to angling.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Mike Wilson wrote:Never fished it T M as I don't like to move in on others [known] fish. Your name is the clue !!
I have seen a very big chub well over the record upstream of a famous bridge but can't fish it [at present]. I saw it in gin clear water about a foot below the surface, thought it was a small common at first above heavy weed. Suggest a low /mid 10. Never had a chance to discuss it with Terry. It dwarfed my 7.10

Mike
Yep I have a fair idea Mike , there ain't many big chub waters in southern England that I don't know about, I'm only middle aged but been a complete chub nut for now over 30 years , been in the chub study group for a while but most importantly like to here about very big chub captures as it gives me a clear indication on how particular rivers compair against others IE water quality, natural weed growth, oxygen levels, food source and growth rates etc .

Yes mate Terry was an icon, truly a fantastic angler, will be sadly missed :Hat:

Hope you do well tomorrow, I'm also out tomorrow in search of some rather large roach on a very small southeastern chalk stream which is hardly ever fished :Thumb:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Tengisgol wrote:I love a little bit of mystery myself. I think there are a few places where unknown monster chub could spring a surprise. Long, apparently barren, reaches of very rich rivers and especially where crayfish have been resident for a few years.

If you haven't already touched the moon with this great fish, I hope you get the record-smasher Mike!
Very true words indeed :Hat:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

RBTraditional wrote:A nine Mike.....that's just being greedy :Hahaha: Honestly though all the very best with you're quest. I shall be out on Friday, Saturday and Monday for the last knockings, cant fish on Sunday as I really want to watch the Hammers put a hatfull past United in the cup! :Wink:
I will just be happy to catch, this cold wind really seems to have put the fish down round here.
Not that it'll probably make much difference but its supposed to be southwesterly n overcast tomorrow, gonna give it ago myself :Wink: for big roach :secret:

Stuart

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well done. It dwarfs my biggest Thames chub of a mere 6lb. But I have heard of much bigger ones where I fish.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Well done Mike! Truly the stuff of dreams for us in the frozen North.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Good heavens - if that didn't put a bend in the cane then goodness knows what would. Fish of a lifetime and many congratulations.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Absolutely splendid !!! A fine achievement.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Mike Wilson”